Highly insulated house - Advice re Lopi Cape Cod insert or other?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mulchie

Nov 25, 2012
Hi, all:
New here. Great forum!

We are building a house in a frigid climate (east coast) with super insulation (r35- r40 in the walls / r60 in attic) and we are looking at wood burning fireplace inserts that can be flush with the wall. We do not want a freestanding wood stove. Prefer "fireplace" aesthetic.

Unit will be installed by builder w/out traditional brick or stone chimney. We'll run double-insulated pipe out.

2,000 sq ft living space.

We hope to use the insert for milder weather and for pleasure and additional warmth in the coldest weather when we will rely on more traditional furnace.

We are looking specifically at the Lopi Cape Cod flush insert. Good BTU production, clean burning, efficient.

-- Can this built in new rather than retrofitting an existing chimney?

-- Anyone know the rough cost of this unit?

-- Wither super insulation is there a chance this is overkill and we would bake?

Thanks for anyone's advice or any comments re experience with this unit.
CM

An insert has to be inserted into something, most often a masonry fireplace and sometimes a pre-fabricated fireplace(metal fireplace). You need to be looking into High eff. Zero-Clearance fireplaces. These heat like a woodstove, but look like a fireplace and can be built right into a combustible wall.

Drat. I had quite liked the Lopi.
I'll look into these. Thanks for the info and the link.
Do you have any thoughts on these other questions? We are especially concerned that if we get a high output unit we may overheat the house...
For the floorplan, it will be in a central area with a fairly open stairwell to the upstairs area.
Thanks again.

You might look into the Fireplace X 36 Elite, it has a bypass. You might be able to dump some heat that way.

They don't specify that it is a zero clearance unit but I'll call the company and check.
We basically want something quite simple and efficient in design. I installed a fireplace in a house about 20 years ago and it must have been a zero clearance box. It was great, but not energy efficient at all.

You should look into the BIS line of ZC units made by Security Chimneys. They are also sold under the Lennox name. I think Lennox bought them or something. Still sold under both names. I am sure there are other out there but his is what I have experience with and so far it has all been pretty good. Here are some links fer ya:

http://www.securitychimneys.com/

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/

No personal connection to either company for the record.

Open windows are great relievers of too much heat. With that much insulation you may have too much heat regardless of which insert you pic. I doubt your heat load will be much at all.

Matt

Reactions: Treacherous
They don't specify that it is a zero clearance unit but I'll call the company and check.
We basically want something quite simple and efficient in design. I installed a fireplace in a house about 20 years ago and it must have been a zero clearance box. It was great, but not energy efficient at all.
It is zero clearance, kinda, it needs some special provisions but not too bad. That's why I mentioned it. Another option is the Kozy Heat Z-42.I have installed several of these as well, they are good heaters and are gonna be a fair amount cheaper than the FPX and a more simple design. http://www.kozyheat.com/products/woodburning/z42cd/index.html

Couple of good zc options out there.
I'll talk to the builder about the overheating issue. But I like the idea of going with one of these since it could spare us turning on a conventional furnace for likely much of the season.
One last question. Our builder is a very good guy. I'm presuming we don't need shop installation and can just leave it in his hands. Is there any compelling reason to rethink this?
And anything I need to know about annual (bi-annual) maintenance and concerns?

Thanks, everyone for sharing your knowledge and expertise. You saved me a ton of dead ends.
Other thoughts still welcome.
CM

Your builder may, or may not know what these units are capable of. Most builders just put them in the same catagory as an open fireplace, and there not. In this area, all the reputable builders sub-contract the fireplace installation, due to liability and the fact that they have enough to deal with. It's a specialized field, you should really go to a show room and take a look at the displays, ask them if they can build you a fire! We often do this for customers.

Your builder may, or may not know what these units are capable of. Most builders just put them in the same catagory as an open fireplace, and there not. In this area, all the reputable builders sub-contract the fireplace installation, due to liability and the fact that they have enough to deal with. It's a specialized field, you should really go to a show room and take a look at the displays, ask them if they can build you a fire! We often do this for customers.
Just curious about what stove sells the best out your way.

Just curious about what stove sells the best out your way.
OH, I can't say one sells better than another really. It kinda takes turns each season, between Jotul, Blaze King, and Hearthstone. We also sell a fair amount of Lopi products. This year seems to be a good year for Lopi, the Cape Cod sure is nice! The Best for us I would say is the Jotul Oslo, Blaze King and then the Hearthstone Heritage.

Point taken. Thanks.

OH, I can't say one sells better than another really. It kinda takes turns each season, between Jotul, Blaze King, and Hearthstone. We also sell a fair amount of Lopi products. This year seems to be a good year for Lopi, the Cape Cod sure is nice! The Best for us I would say is the Jotul Oslo, Blaze King and then the Hearthstone Heritage.
Cool..thanks!

How do you get R-35 R-40 in the walls? Is it spray foam or are the walls extra thick?

We are doing a double studded wall with cellulose. Trying to avoid foam for environmental reasons (outgassing for us, and terrible for the planet). The double studding allows for a complete air brake and no chill moving down the stud. The only negative is that this type of construction compels a ventilation system to allow for the lack of natural breathing. That would be true of foam, too. These walls will be likely around 10".

Looks to be the Lennox series that will work best for our needs. Montecito or Brentwood. Considering the insulation, we are almost surely going to opt for a somewhat smaller profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.