Hillbilly Hauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromehdmc

Mar 1, 2009
Kansas City
Going to go to Florida for Christmas and my wife said we should take the camper and the bikes.
I don't have a way to haul the bikes while the camper is in the truck but I do have a car trailer and here is what I came up with. This is just a test to make sure everything will fit. I have a pair of wheel chocks to keep the bikes up and when they are strapped in they don't move much at all. I have airbags on the truck and I was guessing at how much air to put in that's why the back is up so high. I'm going to find a scale to figure out how much tongue weight I have. I welcome any suggestions that you all may have.

hillbilly hauler 1.JPG

Reactions: albert1029
Tell me why the camper isn't on the truck? I don't get that. Can't you put the camper on the truck and haul the bikes on the trailer? If not why?
If I was a cop I'd probably find a reason if what you have there isn't reason enough to pull you over.
Have a good vacation

Be careful you not alittle "tail-heavy". That could be hairy to tow at highway speeds if it is. If it was me, I might look at putting one bike in the back of the truck. That way the weight spread is better, and you can get into the rear door of the camper without having to unload a bike.

I think I would put the camper on the truck as well. Then bikes at the front of the trailer with something in front of them to protect them from road debris from other peoples vehicles and yours. Never know what you are going to be driving through on the way down or back. Have a good vacation!

I forgot this detail, the camper is for a long bed and the truck is a short bed so I have to have the tailgate down to put it in the truck. Same goes for putting a bike in the bed of the truck.
There isn't enough clearance between the tailgate and the trailer.
I am worried about the tongue weight so I am going to be sure it's right.
The CG of the bikes is right at the back edge of the fender and the camper starts at the front axle. The camper weighs 900 empty and the bikes total 1700.
I figure I need 450 to 500 lbs tongue weight. There is an 80lb winch and an empty water tank at the front of the camper to add ballast if needed.
Believe me I wish everything would fit normally but it won't. I have plenty of straps to hold everything down and if it isn't safe it'll be changed until it is.
As far as the cops go we're going through the South I'm sure they see this kind of redneckification or worse all the time. My wife also suggested having a trooper come out and have a look at the roadworthyness of it.

Reactions: ScotO
Sounds like a great excuse to convince the wife to buy a new camper to fit that truck. Or a new truck! ;);lol

Those campers are 8 foot long. Take the tailgate off let it stick out the back and see if you can couple the hitch. Some cop is going to have a field day with you

Good luck

Craig

I am going to get a State Trooper or someone to come out and have a look at it, I don't see how there can be issues as long as everything is secure.
The top comes down on the camper so it'll reduce the wind drag. It'll be secured at four corners plus two large straps going over the top. The bikes will be tied down at four points.
Other than looking weird and as long as the load is secure what issues do you think I will have?

Woops, I just realized I put this in the wrong forum, can I move it or can a moderator do it?

I would be worried about hills slamming the front of the camper down into the top bed rails of the truck.

Hard to tell from the picture, but maybe the camper doesn't extend over the bed.

The nose of the camper is just short of the tailgate and a little higher. I pulled it down our steep drive and it didn't come close.
As far as brakes I forgot about that, Missouri doesn't require any on bumper pull trailers. I just checked and the states we go through do.
May have a problem with both bikes, should be right at the limit with one. i could take it off and ride if I have to.

Leave camper, take bikes. ==c

Reactions: ScotO and milleo
That is awesome. ;lol

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you have the proper tongue weight. I would want some trailer brakes but other than that you should be okay.

Rock crawlers have been doing these types of things for years except that most of them are using goose necks instead of bumper pulls.
firstscouttow2sm2.jpg

454470d1247671474-lets-see-your-trailers-campers-homemade-dsc01611.jpg

Dude with no trailer brakes you would have to be down right crazy to even attempt that. I am sorry and I don't want to sound like an ass,but if you come up to an intersection a little to fast and there is a little sand or gravel you could get pushed right out into the intersection. I think everybody has been trying to tell you that politely,but for your safety and others please don't try it!

Gary

Reactions: Dune
Ship the bikes. Or I would extened the hitch so a much smaller bike trailer would work, with the camper on the truck.

I like that setup...

While I understand Gary's concern I have to disagree that you'd have to be crazy to attempt this. I've hauled alot of cars and it can be done safely without brakes you have to use your head. Two bikes and the camper weigh in at 2700lbs. I can't even think of a car that weighs that little except for an older import . I'm going to go with one bike to be within the legal limits for no trailer brakes. With one bike and the camper it would be about the same as two zero turns on the trailer, noone would think twice about pulling that.
I did get hold of a Trooper today and other than a chuckle here and there he said it appears safe and that he has no concerns with it.

Reactions: fox9988 and milleo
I don't see a problem with the load distribution, good on ya to check it over the scales. What's all this talk of the cops? How the hell do you think the manufacturer shipped that camper to begin with? Certainly not loaded on individual pickups and driven to the dealers.... ;) Just make sure it's strapped down.

Most here know how I feel about trailer brakes. They're not optional. I don't give a rat's tail what the state law says. You might be using your head but the guy in front of you usually isn't. The hardware (to add brakes) is cheap, the bodywork (and I sincerely hope that's the extent of any damage) is not.

Enjoy your trip and please tow safely.

There are a few. My 2005 Lotus Elise weighs right around 2000lbs (truck scale was +-20lbs) with me in it.

[quote="jeromehdmc, post: 1291124, member: 10345" I can't even think of a car that weighs that little except for an older import .
.[/quote]

Can you just take the tailgate off the truck to avoid the clearance with the trailer? Cheers!

Reactions: ScotO and Gasifier
I would put the camper (Weight) on the truck not the trailer if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.