Hinges on stove door are binding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
This just started happening this past week.

The hinges on my Kozyheat z42 are binding. I've looked at them and I don't see anything wrong with them.

Do they require any oil or lube? I don't want to put anything on them - because of the heat. Maybe graphite dust?

Anyone else have this problem?

I notice the hinges are separate pieces from the door which is much thinner metal - so now the door flexes some when you open and close it - because the hinges are binding. This can't be good.

I may have to let it cool and take the door off the hinges to see whats up. Frustrated.

Graphite powder. Sold in little plastic squeeze bottles at any hardware store. Most effective if you can take the hinges apart, but you might be able to get some worked down in there by squirting and fiddling. Put down some sort of paper towel or drop cloth beneath...the stuff is very fine (both in texture and in function). Rick

You may want to see if the door has warped also. Or at least check the dollar test to make sure the gasket is sealing.

When you do the graphite powder you may also want to get the house hinges, locks and don't forget the fishing reel.

Matt

I use bicycle chain oil with teflon. A little dab will do ya.

Problem solved.

The pins are threaded like a bolt with a nut. I replaced the glass/door gasket about a month ago and had the door off. I guess I made the hinges too tight when I put it back on. It only got really tight this past week. Maybe the bolts tightened on their own with opening and closing the door. I losened them a turn or two and the door works like new! Time will tell if it happens again, I will get some graphite powder.

Graphite powder is great, I use it on any moving parts of the wood stove. Next project is the ignition switch in my van, I understand it is better than oil. Just need to make sure it in nonconductive.

Pretty sure that graphite powder will have you're ign switch arcin' and sparkin' try some spray contact cleaner and then a bit of
WD-40. I lube my stove moving parts with Champion Spark plug lube. Which is graphite suspended in a non oily medium. Small plastic jar comes with a brush in the cap. Even with the stove in use as long as it is'nt at full bore just brush a little on the joint of moving parts move them back and forth a bit until the squeak/ binding goes away and its good for another year. If you're one of those who always plans ahead you can lube all these movin' parts once a year with ease before burning season when you're doin' that annual inspection and tune up. If youre like me and everyone else in the world you will burn your finger tryin' to lift the door just a little bit to brush that damn squeakin' hinge pin. Dont worry it will feel better when it quits hurting. :shut:

Status
Not open for further replies.