Hissing firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
I know that I should try to get ahead but my hickory has been split and stacked for about a year and hissing when it first starts to burn. It takes about 5 minutes before it stops hissing. How bad is my wood.

id put it in the about 25% range. As long as the ends just get damp a tiny bit for 5 mins like you say your gonna be fine. No hissing is best though. I have some oak in the 25% range thats been CSS since June and it catches right up and does that, some get a bit of moisture on ends but gone in no time (MM verified to be in the 20-27% range). Now if the ends are pumping water out and puddling on the floor of the stove thats green, i know cause i use to burn it like that in my fireplace when i had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.