Hitzer 354, without blower, surface heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newheatcoalwood

Oct 11, 2021
Indiana
Looking for a Hitzer model, no blower that one can heat water to a point of sterilization (180F), in case of emergency.
Does anyone have a Hitzer 354 without a blower? Does the top get hot enough to boil, or at least a good simmer? Would burning wood get the top hotter than burning coal?

It will be inefficient as a wood burner, but it should get hot. I do know that on our wood stove with a 600º+ stovetop, bringing a pot or a full kettle to a boil happens in about 20 minutes. But that is with robust secondary combustion in a designed for wood stove.

Thanks! Planning to use both as needed. I know coal does better in a unit designed for coal, but if there is a supply chain break-down, we like the idea of wood back-up.
They are horrible wood stoves. If you want to burn wood get a wood stove. If you want to burn coal get a coal stove. The 2 fuels just need such different conditions to burn properly, combination units don't work well.

They are out of stock at the moment and looked them up and have a picture of it for you..
They are sure not cheap and over 2,000 dollars and more...but the ad reads real well.. I do not know anything about stoves but just knowing that some people want a variety of options..bhollar is well experience to give opinions --not that I can agree with at times--but well experienced here...That stove to me looks just beautiful and I am learning about coal heat too....old mrs clancey

Reactions: newheatcoalwood
Yes Hitzler makes some of the best coal stoves on the market without a doubt. And if your intention is to burn coal unless you don't have access to it they are a good choice.

Yes Hitzler makes some of the best coal stoves on the market without a doubt. And if your intention is to burn coal unless you don't have access to it they are a good choice.
Thanks, we are just trying to find the best option/model from them. One thing we want to be able to do (in a pinch) is to heat up water on it. We kept using the word "boiling" when asking which ones they would recommend, when we visited them in their shop. But really we should have used the word simmer. Basically 180F+, that is why they recommended the 55 or 82. I like the looks of the 354 more, but they didn't think it would be able to "boil" water.

Thanks! Planning to use both as needed. I know coal does better in a unit designed for coal, but if there is a supply chain break-down, we like the idea of wood back-up.
Do you have easy access to an affordable supply of coal? I know coal is still common in some areas of Indiana but to often on here we have people that want to burn coal but only have access to expensive bagged coal from places like tractor supply.

Thanks, we are just trying to find the best option/model from them. One thing we want to be able to do (in a pinch) is to heat up water on it. We kept using the word "boiling" when asking which ones they would recommend, when we visited them in their shop. But really we should have used the word simmer. Basically 180F+, that is why they recommended the 55 or 82. I like the looks of the 354 more, but they didn't think it would be able to "boil" water.
We don't see enough hitzlers here for me to know the details of each model. We typically have Alaskas and Harmans

Do you have easy access to an affordable supply of coal? I know coal is still common in some areas of Indiana but to often on here we have people that want to burn coal but only have access to expensive bagged coal from places like tractor supply.
There is a supplier about 25 miles from me. sells by the ton, but still in bags.
The maker of the Hitzer is about an hour from where I live, and to be honest, buying from a local community makes me a little bias.