Hitzer 503 Insert - Installing & Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellis

Dec 2, 2010
Cecil County, Maryland
I am ordering my new Hitzer 503 today to replace my Firepower furnace (cracked heat exchanger after 26 years of faithful coal service). This forum helped me make up my mind - I like the looks & features of the 503 better than the equivalent Harman (which at my shopping choices is $1,000 more). Question #1 has to do with flue installation - running SS flex a few feet past the damper (sealing the rest of the damper opening) and then letting the existing 8" x 13" terra cotta do its thing vs. running flex the entire length (19' up from damper). I prefer the first for cost reasons - will only burn good, hard coal (no wood), so ash around the sealed damper should not be a problem - Hitzer advised this meets code and is OK in the situation I describe. Any contrary thoughts, other than a full liner is easier to clean? Question #2 - for those who burn a 503 - I would appreciate any advice on use of and the relationship between the bottom and top combustion air dampers. Please feel free to contact me off-list, if you prefer ([email protected]). Thanks.

Is your chimney interior or exterior? I know alot of coal stoves run with low flue temps. With the existing liner being 8x13 with low temps draft will suffer. I would run a liner up the whole chimney and do it right. I think with coal you will want a 316ti liner which will help resist acids from the coal exhaust. Having a liner will help with the proper draft to operate the stove correctly and keep carbon monoxide out of the home.

Ellis said:
I took laynes69's advice and ran a full length liner and am glad I did - the draft is great! Great forum.

These guys are great and full of collective wisdom, or at least thats what i think it is. Great guys always willing to lend a helpful hand.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.