Hmmmmmm, a decision to be made..... Smoke Dragon or my trusty Buck 74

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jghall

Jan 3, 2008
Metro Atlanta
Hello all, its been quite a while since I have lurked the boards, but have been happily burning wood since the last visit ;-).... Just wanted your opinion... The wife and I are considering moving.... We have found an amazing 1927 farmhouse on 5 acres at an incredible price... Here is my question.... The farmhouse already has a HUGE Buck Stove (80's era) smoke dragon installed in the masonry fireplace.... I know these things put out major heat, but they are wood eaters big time.... I am thinking of removing it and putting my trusty little Buck 74 in its place... The fireplace opening is large enough that I could put my 74 in there on legs (put a block-off plate in and not worry about the surround) almost like a free stander, giving off more heat than an insert with surround... We heat our 2600sq' Cape Cod exclusively with this little stove, but this farm house is about 3400sq'... What are your thoughts my nice little EPA stove, or the Smoke Dragon??? Seems like a crazy question, but its just a thought.... I'm leaning more towards ditching the smoke dragon and putting in my 74.... Although, I did think about selling them both and getting the new Buck 94NC ;-)...Ohhh, and here is a hearth photo for you....

Attachments

• Farmhouse012.jpg
    Farmhouse012.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 293
Another hearth shot and an outside shot of the farmhouse...

Attachments

• Farmhouse018.jpg
    Farmhouse018.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Farmhouse014.jpg
    Farmhouse014.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 267
Wow that's a huge hearth and room! If it were me I'd install the one I know works properly plus runs clean and efficient to boot..

Ray

Leave the smoke dragon in at least until you have had time in the new house to get a feel for the place. You can always change it later but i would bet your stove will not be enough for the much larger home.
Best bet is to sell both stoves and upgrade to some big EPA workhorse.

actually snowtime, I am considering selling both and upgrading to a larger EPA stove because of the extra 8-900 sq'... But I did think about calling my sweep, and having him check everything out, giving me the ok... Then just running the dragon the rest of the winter, to see what she can do... Then replace in the summer when stove prices go down ;-)....

Nice place! Better save up for a big mower,,, that's alot of yard!

Status
Not open for further replies.