HOA removing dead tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireinmybelly

Jul 14, 2011
wa
there is a dead douglas fir being removed on my street so i emailed the hoa to help me arrange to have that wood transported to my home to save me money & the hoa the cost of hauling it away. what are the rules of thumb with firewood?
if the dead fir is diseased, is it still safe for burning? what should i expect to pay to have the wood transported from a block away to my backyard? can i safely store firewood next to a resin shed?
thanks

I'd pay no more than 100 to have it moved... you can stack dougfir much like any other wood 6" of the ground, covered on top, no tarps. Some real nice fire wood.

fireinmybelly said:
there is a dead douglas fir being removed on my street so i emailed the hoa to help me arrange to have that wood transported to my home to save me money & the hoa the cost of hauling it away. what are the rules of thumb with firewood?
if the dead fir is diseased, is it still safe for burning? what should i expect to pay to have the wood transported from a block away to my backyard? can i safely store firewood next to a resin shed?
thanks

How dead is it? If it's completely dropped it's needles it's good to burn right now. If it still has all or most of it's needles split it up and it'll be fine this winter.

I'd say a fair price to drop it at your place is free.

fireinmybelly said:
I'd say a fair price to drop it at your place is free.

Agree, You are already saving them some disposal and labor costs, can you help load and unload and bring refreshments to ensure free delivery and possibly consideration to get more in the future?

I wouldn't pay anything over a couple cold beers for the tree crew to drop it off.

lukem said:
I wouldn't pay anything over a couple cold beers for the tree crew to drop it off.
I hear this form of compensation mentioned quite a bit here. Do these tree company guys belt down a couple of cold ones at every stop, then drive on to the next job, or what? RNLA? I think my employer would frown on me having any more than four or five beers over the course of the work day...

But 4 or less total in an average 8hr shift is OK then? Glad we cleared that up.Kinda brings new meaning to the '3 martini lunch' or as George Carlin used to put it "the 2 joint coffee break". Just ask those Chrysler employees busted again recently about that....

Thistle said:
But 4 or less total in an average 8hr shift is OK then?
Well, I didn't actually check the employee handbook on that yet... :lol:

Woody Stover said:
Thistle said:
But 4 or less total in an average 8hr shift is OK then?
Well, I didn't actually check the employee handbook on that yet... :lol:

:lol: Gotcha.

You wrote that the doug Fir is being removed. That means the HOA has paid the tree company to haul it away. Your place is probably a lot closer than the alternative dump site, so you are doing the tree company a favor by taking the wood. It is a nice gesture to give the guys a few cold drinks, but I wouldn't agree to pay them for reducing their hauling costs. I don't think the value of the wood is of any importance to the tree company. I think most tree companies remove far more wood than they need as firewood, if they even bother to sell firewood at all, and they are happy o get rid of wood if they can do it cheaply and conveniently. Sometimes the owner of the tree wants to keep the wood, but I doubt an HOA would want firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.