Hoarder?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
On 10-9-2010 I cut this dead standing, I still have five splits I'm saving does this make me a hoarder?

zap

Attachments

• 100_1634.jpg
    100_1634.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 698
  • 100_2240.jpg
    100_2240.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 689
There is no such thing as a hoarder with respect to wood. Up, down. live, dead, hardwood, softwood...it will all burn in time. Of course, my wife might disagree. She thinks there is room for peonies and roses rather than stacks of firewood. (Truth be told, I think there is also room for tomatoes, peas, beans, lettuce, kale, bok choi, other vegetables and fruit such as pears (Bartlett and Asian), blueberries, raspberries, persimmons, pomegranates, figs, blueberries and grapes.) Now that I think of it - in rare circumstances, one can be a hoarder.

Zap, if you're hiding small splits in your sock drawer, then yes- you are a hoarder. All I see you doing is (outside of working your butt off), is maximizing your available resources and banking them for future use. As always, my hats off to you. ;-)

Yes, your a hoarder. Intervention may be needed. Drive a semi load down to me and that would be a step in the right direction for your condition.

;-)

Is that right picture right next to the stove? The ladies in this house wouldn't let that hoard go on for two days let alone two months. Anything in the garage or further is usually safe.

SolarAndWood said:
Is that right picture right next to the stove? The ladies in this house wouldn't let that hoard go on for two days let alone two months. Anything in the garage or further is usually safe.

SolarAndWood the picture on the right is in the garage, not pictured is some beech and sugar maple brought in two months ago.

zap

Hoarding is when there is a face cord blocking the TV. Or when your home resembles a Beaver lodge. Still I find no problem with having that much wood...

Attachments

• medium.jpg
    medium.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 527
why are you saving those 5 splits. if you don't have a good reason, then you might have a problem.

Cut a good size dead red oak limb about 2 weeks ago. Good sized splits and very dry - about the same looking splits as your bottom photo. I've been saving them in the garage for really cold nights - I figure I've got 4-5 nights worth left and hate to see it go! Cheers!

Zap, Before I answer....what is special about these 5 splits? I get all worked up at the beginning of the heating season when I first start taking wood off my nice neat stacks. It just pains me to see them start disappearing. But then I get started cutting for the winter and get over it. My neighbor calls me all kinds of things like hoarder and worse. But we know why we do it. ;-P

It's sorta' like fine wine Zap, you just want to save it for the right occasion!

Special occasion splits, I like it!

not a hoarder at all. I cut stuff down to 1 1/2 inch or so and save it for the shed's small wood stove. The branches I leave in a pile throughout the winter for fire starting or if I need some "alone" time I'll start a bonfire and sit out there all day by myself hahaha

I think this is the wrong place to ask that question. Most of us do the exact same thing. I have some white oak in my garage that I am waiting till it hits negative temp out to burn. Hopefully I have to wait a long time

twigs from the yard,corn cobs from squirrel feeding,scraps of all kinds from my various woodworking/cabinet shop - used as kindling

dunnage such as 2 x 2 to 6 x 6 various low grade rough sawn native hardwoods used in loads of certain building materials like steel beams/rebar delivered by flat bed semi trailer to jobsites I work at - used as fuel & if when I can find pieces with no defects - used in woodturning,table legs,candlesticks,other table accessories etc.

The occasional find of free local hardwoods on CL or other scrounging or cutting for hire when I find the time,such as 2 p/u loads of prime black walnut just 3 blocks from home in September - Burn probably 75%-90% of that,unless I find some choice pieces to use in the future/sell on ebay.

Am I a hoarder? Possibly.... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.