Hole in damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james72

Nov 27, 2010
Craley, PA
When we got back home from errands today I noticed that there was a hole in the damper. It is the size of a golf ball. Is this a real bad issue. The only concern i really see is sparks getting up into the chimney and causing a fire. Could that really happen. Since sparks could go up around the sides of the damper as well.

The way it looks is a piece of metal the cures over the enterance of the hole to the outtake for the stove pipe. The pipe than turns on a sharo angle . The after one foot of pipe it goes into the wall/chimney.

Seems to me your damper is now not really able to "damp" things down as much. . . .

What stove is this? Can you post a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.