Holes in bottom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kroman532

Feb 4, 2024
Ohio
I have these hole round and square on both sides in the bottom of my direct vent prefab. Do these holes serve a purpose? I can feel air coming through those and outlet? Can I seal with foil tape?

IMG_4108.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

IMG_4104.jpeg

Yes, you can seal them, and any other penetrations with aluminum tape. They are there for gas line & thermostat or switch wire access to the gas valve.

Yes, you can seal them, and any other penetrations with aluminum tape. They are there for gas line & thermostat or switch wire access to the gas valve.
Similar question, would it be better to use the aluminum tape or "Great Stuff" Fire block foam? As I have both.

I took off some current tape, and I was surprised how wide and deep this hole is (photo attached).

Should some type of insulation be stuffed into it? As I cannot imagine aluminum tape will stop the cold air. When it gets cold outside, the under cavity of the fireplace is freezing cold.

This is the model fireplace I have

PXL_20240218_173419263.jpg

What does the outside wall of your home look like where the fireplace is located? Is it in a bumped out “doghouse,” or is the outer wall flat?

Ok. Kinda looks like that wall isn’t bumped out.
Is this a corner install? My guess is that there is minimal insulation behind & under your unit. When I used to install, we insulated, sheet rocked and sealed all seams behind, over & alongside the unit. No telling what you have without tearing into the walls.