holly tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Ok maybe its not so strange they get this big IDK but I've never seen holly any more than a bush. Just cut this sucker down (actually I think there were about 5 this size):

hollytree_800.jpg

On the larger cross section it was around 14" I think...

I havent seen it on any btu charts lol... is it ok to burn? I was almost thinking about setting a couple of the bigger pieces aside to cut into some craft size boards, would be interesting to make something out of it and say its the old holly tree from beside the driveway.

We are at 38 degrees north. The holly here do not grow very well. However, I am told they get big in the south. Definitely good to burn.

Yep I've seen plenty that big and they rank pretty high on the btu charts I believe.

Hollys that big seem pretty unusual for central Ohio, but in the southeast they are fairly common.

mtarbert said:
Its a bear to split

That is true, but it burns well. Nice hard wood, it is prized in woodworking for its clear white grain.

I have one on my land very close to that size but the rest are no more than 1 inch thick.

Ive gotten several rounds from scrounges that size, but Im a ways away from you!

So whats the verdict on the BTUs? I was think Id burn it like a pine but might have to hold off on that!

Burns way better than pine, it's actually a very good fuel, on par with the best hardwoods . Btu output is better than some species of hickory and oak, on the chart I saw it is at 24.8 mbtu per cord.

Wood Duck said:
Hollys that big seem pretty unusual for central Ohio, but in the southeast they are fairly common.

Hmm well actually its from north eastern Ohio, my inlaws. I might set one or two of the straight rounds aside for crafts along with the curly maple from my other post. Not really sure what I'd do with such a pale wood though, usually my style is more the rustic country look with a med-med/dark stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.