Holmes on Homes on Discovery Home tonight. Topic Bad fireplace install !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
Sorry short notice, but the show Holmes on Homes is on tonight at 9pm on Discovery Home channel. Direct TV 286 and is going to be repeated tomorrow afternoon. He is going to work on a fireplace install gone bad!! Cant wait to see what a mess he walks into!

I think I've got it on the DVR (I hope I did it right).

Just caught the show - 3:30 to 4pm CST on Discovery Home. I'd have to give Holmes about a 8 out of 10 on that one. I was disappointed that he suggested replacing a wood fireplace with a gas insert. Then he installed a wood insert in the downstairs. Of course they don't give you all the details on the show. But I would have much rather had the wood insert on the main floor for heat, and the gas downstairs...or even have both of them burn wood. I was also disappointed that the hearth"pro" seemed to indicate that the reason smoke was getting in the downstairs fireplace from the upstairs fire was that the smoke was hitting rough bricks in the flue and turning back downward. More likely, the upstairs fireplace was pulling a lot of air out of the house, and the easiest way to bring in make-up air was by pulling air down the unused flue and into the basement. Since the flue openings appeared to be exactly the same height, it was likely pulling the smoke right back down the unused flue.

Either way, the homeowners are way better off once he finished up!

Corey

Overall, I thought it was a good show. I was also disapointed to see the gas go in the upper level; the install did look very nice though. It would have been nice to see more of the actual install of the Osburn in the basement.

I wonder if there's a blockoff plate in there...Oh what the hell did I just start?!?!

Yeah from the previews it sounded like it was going to be an "all fireplace" episode. It was pretty good anyhow. I dont know about the block off plate, but I was impressed by that "ginormous" hearth pad they covered the dowstairs carpet with!

MrGriz said:
Overall, I thought it was a good show. I was also disapointed to see the gas go in the upper level; the install did look very nice though. It would have been nice to see more of the actual install of the Osburn in the basement.

I wonder if there's a blockoff plate in there...Oh what the hell did I just start?!?!

Interestingly enough, and Holmes on Homes is (I beleive) a Canadian show, so the install was likely in Ontario (Toronto area I beleive), and depending on the location, local codes quite often do not call for a block off plate. Instead, code usually calls for a full liner install.
In fact, I don't know of any local installations that do use a block off plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.