Holtzies are Done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Therivermonster

Burning Hunk
Dec 10, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Over the weekend I finished stacking the two Holz Hausen that we'll use to fire our Jotul Castine next winter. We plan to install the stove this coming fall, so we should be just in time to burn some seasoned wood. The piles consist of fir, cedar, alder, and ash. All soft woods, but they all contain the BTUs.

Nice stacks, and welcome to the Hearth.
Just a little correction though. Ash is a hardwood, and is an excellent one at that.
Is that one on the left leaning a bit, or is it my imagination?
So, Castine, eh?
Care to share some more details about the house layout, size, etc.?
Pics of the new hearth are always welcome here. Actually, the motto is......pics, or it didn't happen.==c
Lots of folks here from your area who can offer advice.
Good luck and we'll be waiting on those pics.;)
popcorn.gif

I don't think that the stack on the left is leaning. I think that it might look like that due to an effect from the camera lens.

The house was built in 1900, is poorly if hardly insulated, and is quite drafty, (we are working on these issues). It is one story, about 800 SF with the living room (which is the stove room) and the kitchen generally making one large room. Down the hall from the living room is the bathroom, and the two bedrooms. There is a fairly good sized attic space that I would like to make usable at some point in the future. I plan to make a build thread for the hearth and stove install when the time comes.

PapaDave, do you have some feedback about the Castine? Thanks!

Sorry, no experience with that stove, so I shouldn't comment.
There are others here with that stove though. They'll show up sooner or later.
We have a small 1240 sq ft. ranch and keep one small bedroom closed most of the time (my wife's sewing/stash room), which makes the heated space more like 1100 or so.
I plan to get a cat stove for more control over temps during the spring and fall.

Looks great! I let mine dry for three years and it works for me! It's all hardwood so it needs the time. Your's look to be about 6' high. May have issues if lawn below has freeze/thaw movements. I did on one of mine a few years back so I move to more level and solid ground.

If you do a search on the forum you'll find many threads about the castine. Most are very happy with them.

I'll also agree with Dave. Ash is indeed very good hardwood. We burn lots and have for many years.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.