Holy Ash Batman! Wood Fiber Pellets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfarm

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2012
wisconsin
We have been burning some new pellets. Wood Fiber Pellet brand.

I noticed a lot of built up ash in the flame area, but was shocked when I opened up the ash pan and it was FULL to the top after only 1 week.

We have never had our ash pan more than 1/4 full after a week.

I was wondering if it has anything to do with running the stove on low and idle T stat mode?

Our glass was also really black and hard to clean which can be from the low heat setting too.

Other than the ash, the pellets burned well, no unburned pellets, no clinkers and a nice pleasent smell when burning.

Remember those units are supposed to be fired on high occasionally (at least that is what some folks who read the manuals tell me), if you have a lot of extra ash there you likely have it elsewhere in the stove as well.

thanks for reminding me, we really didn't fire it up on high each day like we would if it was winter.

surprisingly the ash was heavy and had very little fly ash when pulling the top rod twice daily and the ash cleanouts didn't have much in them either.

I bought a ton on sale for 3.40 a bag. Seem to burn very good. Ash medium. Bottom of the pile now.

I have a few bags that I have been burning. Longer pellets. Darker ash. Ok heat. Meh......

We had very dark ash also

Burned 2 ton last year. Heat was fair at best compared to stove chow, prestos or greenteam. Awf produced the most ash of the three brands I have used.

Your ash should be gray in color and fluffy. That means the carbon is burned out and you get every bit of your money from the pellet and your stove is working correctly.

Eric

Reactions: mralias
Status
Not open for further replies.