Holy Cold Spell!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2013
Rural St. Elmo, IL
Looks like some even colder weather coming through this coming week. Weather man says the high Monday here in my neck of the woods is -6...That's the "HIGH"! Wind chills at night -30 to -40! That's the coldest I've seen here in a real long time and calling for a decent amount of snow hitting Sat night into Sun ahead of the cold.

Looks like after it hits here it's moving east as usual so heads up to you easterners.

Going to make for some interesting wild card games!

Reactions: ailanthus
Its global warming I tell ya ;)
it was 12 this morning here in southern Maryland. currently 19. not cold by other standards but a bit chilly for here in the mid Atlantic. I do have the summit going the basement and the jotul going upstairs. have to let the coals burn up in the summit so burning small fires for now. once they get down, i'll stoke her up again.

It's pretty chilly here too, it was 3 this am when I got up. Supposed to be similar next week. Not too concerned except for the pipes at our rental (no basement, crawl space-they now have heat tape and insulation on them though). And our tires were frozen to the driveway this am. That's not common. Wish we had a block heater for the poor thing!!

Looks like some even colder weather coming through this coming week. Weather man says the high Monday here in my neck of the woods is -6...That's the "HIGH"! Wind chills at night -30 to -40! That's the coldest I've seen here in a real long time and calling for a decent amount of snow hitting Sat night into Sun ahead of the cold.

Looks like after it hits here it's moving east as usual so heads up to you easterners.
Folks might find this post from a local weather blogger interesting. http://mattsweatherrapport.blogspot.com/2014/01/arctic-vortex-to-blame-for-our-intense.html

If I'm reading him right, this next blast isn't going to hit the east quite as hard as this current one.

yeah, tell me about it, we have been in the low single digits for a solid 24 hours+ going to peak tonight at -20 without the wind-chill. damn cold for southern NH. been cycling the oil burner more then I would like because of frozen pipe paranoia.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Good for you to cycle the burner. This is not a time to pinch pennies. Stay warm!

Word - square tires.

Reactions: Jags
I remember as a kid in upstate ny, east of albany, we would regularly hit 0 to -10, sometimes even colder, in January and February. granted they would only last a day or two most of the time and the temps would reach back up to a balmy 10 - 15 degrees above zero. last time I experienced some low temps was about 10 years ago. I was in the NY, MA, VT border area west of Williamstown in the ski country and I had been up on a hunting trip during thanksgiving and it was time to leave and head back to southern Maryland. it was a tepid -17 degrees F . My trusty RAM 2500 Cummings started like a champ. I let it warm up and started down the road heading home. not a 100 yds down the road and all of a sudden, the power just went to nothing. it was still running although like a three-legged dog. come to find out the diesel had congealed and if I was just idling, it was fine but as I put a draw on the fuel system it wasn't enough to keep the motor running with any power. needless to say, I went to the nearest gas station and got some diesel additive. after rocking it back and fourth to mix it up and letting it idle another 15 minutes, I would run down the road without any problem. funny how temps can affect things you wouldn't think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: gyrfalcon
Status
Not open for further replies.