Holy Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadTripper

I helped a friend install an old Frontier double door today. He has a real nice area set up from the previous owner so I figured it would be a snap getting the pipe and setting up.

Well, the pipe was certainly a breeze. The chimney however was a complete wreck. I have no idea how the po didn't burn the house down. We pulled the insulation from the thimble and all I could see was black. I stuck my hand in and it was pretty solid. We started to chip it away and fill a bucket. My friend climbed to the roof with a rope and a two foot long by 1 inch steel rod, kind of resembled a big nail. He proceeded to let it fall down the chimney for 20 or so minutes while I chipped from the bottom up. Finally, we broke through. He didn't have a brush and mine was too large so we put a nice size chain into an old feed bag, tied it off and used that to sweep the remaining portion. We ended up pulling a little better than a 5 gallon pail full out.

Now it was on to the section between the thimble and the clean out door. I guess it was about 4 to 5 feet in distance. My friend continued to pound from the top with the steel spike. After about ten or so drops, I'd clean out what I could by hand which amounted to about 10 handfuls at a time. It was packed and froze almost to the bottom! Once we were at a position where we could somewhat grasp the spike, I had him pull out a shop-vac and we chipped away, then vacuumed, chip, vacuum, chip, vacuum....Eventually we broke through and could use the bag and chain to finish clearing.

Needless to say, what I planned on taking about 2 hours, ended up 9am to 5pm. We did get every last bit of creosote out and the chimney looked to be in good shape.

We managed to get his pipe all hooked up with a flue damper and thermometer. He hasn't really burned wood before so I tried to set him up the right way. I spent about 30 minutes getting everything going and explaining how to manipulate the draft and flue dampers for different needs. I should have grabbed some photos but didn't think to take my camera. After all was said and done, we took 15 gallons of creosote. The temperature in his basement had gone from 54 to 60 in pretty short order while the paint on the pipe and stove cured.

Tripper

Good job, sounds like your buddy owes you a few beers.

..and help cleaning your chimney out the next 5 times!! What a horror story!

All I can say is, WOW!

I was completely amazed at the amount that came out. It hadn't been burned in about 6 years so I'm sure everything fell over time and just accumulated at the bottom. Add some rain and other moisture with 20 degree temps and it comes out to be a huge mess. The po was a mason and did some really nice brick work with a bluestone mantle so I'm surprised he let it go like that. I guess there was a messy divorce so maybe he just quit caring. Even so, I can't imagine how long he had to burn it that way to gain so much creosote and there was literally only a finger hole going up the chimney for a few feet.

I called my friend last night and he was still burning it and playing. I'm sure he is really appreciating the heat this morning as it is 10 here.

Tripper

Holy cow the way you describe it that chimney was like... totally plugged. Surely at some time before that point smoke must have poured into the house alerting the previous owner? Well anyway good save and good luck burning to your friend.

That is impressive to say the least. I've heard of 5 gals but never 15. And of course frozen to boot! Ouch! Sounds like your buddy owes you a kidney or something similar in value.

pen

Overall it was probably a good introduction to burning wood for the guy because he can see quite possibly the worst case. After he spent several hours in the cold on the roof pounding away at the mess, he won't want to ever let it get remotely close. I suggested he mirror the chimney once a month and brush it as needed.
I've known the guy since 2nd grade, I'm 34 now so it all goes in the wash. I'm sure he'll be around when I need a hand.

Tripper

Status
Not open for further replies.