Holy HOT stove top....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozarkjeep

Nov 6, 2006
so, still learning the whole Cat stove usage...

wife reloaded wood, I came in a bit later, stove top was 300 degrees, I opened intake air 100%, phone call, kids talking to me...

then a freind stopped by, talked to him in the garage for a while.

came back in, stove was flaming BIG time.

shut down the air, checked temp.

940 degrees on the TOP of the stove!
the plate surrounding the combustor was nearly glowing orange, cat was FULLY glowing.

dang....

seems no worse for the wear, I reduced air flow and it came right back into the 600 degree range for a while.

instruction manual says it is safe to operate stove at ANY intake air setting as long as the door is ajar.
that is hard to imagine if the stove is capable of nearly 1000 degrees.

oops?

Look at it this way you probably burned out anything in your connector pipe, plus burned out crud in that cat. It might have done you a favor

yes, I feel pretty good about the cleanliness of the exhuast gas path now.

and the saftey of the stove in general, nothing melted, broke, or warped.

elkimmeg said:
Look at it this way you probably burned out anything in your connector pipe, plus burned out crud in that cat. It might have done you a favor

Status
Not open for further replies.