1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Holy *$&#%, I must be rich!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by caber, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mat/927414029.html

Tulip Poplar Log 11' long - $1300 (Alexandria)

In one of the storms over the summer my Tulip poplar tree came down in the wind. The main trunk will make great boards. It is 11' long and 21 inches to 29 inches in diameter. Cash and carry, $1300.

------------------------------------

I'm not sure if I should be happy or cry. On one hand, I figure I have several hundred thousand dollars worth of trees just waiting to pay off my mortgage. On the other hand, I've apparently burnt tens of thousands of dollars worth of poplar as light firewood.

Oh my god, I'm burning some now...... gotta run..............

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I don't know what's so special about Tulip Poplar. I have a lot of Poplar on my 18 acres but I wouldn't get a tenth of that price for a full cord delivered.
  3. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    Maybe I shoot him an email and ask which direction the tree fell because I wont pay over $1000 for logs that fell to the South because everyone knows South falling tulip Poplar trees are inferior in every way to North or even East falling poplar. However if it's a West falling tree then it's worth double the asking price and I'd take it immediately!

It really makes you wonder if they ever get any serious calls. What's funny is that you can buy a whole truckload of whitewood from HD or Lowes for less than $1000 and that's sawn dried and sanded.
  4. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    Wow.

Just wow.

That is right up there with the one where the person had a "standing live paper birch for sale, 20' tall, 6", for $200 - must dig up with spade."
  5. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    He thinks its worth $ for boards not firewood. Poplar is used for molding.
  6. leaf4952

leaf4952 Member

Loc:
    The Pocono Mountains upper plateau area, PA
    When I get poplar I dont burn it because I absoutely LOVE the fragrance it gives off. I keep it in a copper bucket near the stove for rustic looks and aroma. If I knew how to wittle or make small wood projects I'd use it for that or throw small blocks in the dresser draws the way some people use cedar blocks.
  7. leaf4952

leaf4952 Member

Loc:
    And by the way . . you guys are being kind of rude. And thats not nice !
  8. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    :question: Explain? Did I miss somthing?
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    It got marked down. Only $900 cash and carry!
  10. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    Even at 900, that it outrageous! I mean really, theres not that much wood in that log and its not worth the effort of most sawmills to process something thats only 11' long. Some people seriously need to get a clue!
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You can already chop some off that. Mills take logs cut in even lengths, not odd.

Also, don't mistake the tulip poplar for the poplar we usually see. It does make some good lumber whereas the poplar we have in our woods makes a nice mess at best.
  12. leaf4952

leaf4952 Member

Loc:
    It just sounds like some are poking some big fun . . overboard.
    but whatever
  13. countrybois

countrybois Member

Loc:
    NE Illinois
    If that tulip poplar is worth $1300 then I figure I'm about ready to prepare a good $10K of cherry for the woodburner.

Attached Files:

14. itworks

itworks New Member

Loc:
    Southwestern CT
    Oops I forgot to tell you about this bridge I have for sale.................
  15. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    [quote author="leaf4952" date="1227610567"}It just sounds like some are poking some big fun . . overboard.
    but whatever[/quote]

Well, we were. That was the point of posting it. To make fun of silly things on Craigslist.
  16. leaf4952

leaf4952 Member

Loc:
    Well, we were. That was the point of posting it. To make fun of silly things on Craigslist.[/quote]

Sorry - it was not clear to me. I thought YOU were selling the wood. And everyone else was making fun of you - a fellow Hearther. My mistake. Sarcasm isn't always clear in written words.
  17. jpl1nh

jpl1nh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Newfields NH
    Sorry - it was not clear to me. I thought YOU were selling the wood. And everyone else was making fun of you - a fellow Hearther. My mistake. Sarcasm isn't always clear in written words.[/quote]So True, sarcasm can be mis-understood even in the spoken word. Sometimes I find my sarcastic sense of humor just goes right over people's heads. Oh well.
  18. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Perspective is relative and subjective, usually. Sorry, I sometimes think too much.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.