Holy *$&#%, I must be rich!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mat/927414029.html

Tulip Poplar Log 11' long - $1300 (Alexandria)

In one of the storms over the summer my Tulip poplar tree came down in the wind. The main trunk will make great boards. It is 11' long and 21 inches to 29 inches in diameter. Cash and carry, $1300.

------------------------------------

I'm not sure if I should be happy or cry. On one hand, I figure I have several hundred thousand dollars worth of trees just waiting to pay off my mortgage. On the other hand, I've apparently burnt tens of thousands of dollars worth of poplar as light firewood.

Oh my god, I'm burning some now...... gotta run..............

I don't know what's so special about Tulip Poplar. I have a lot of Poplar on my 18 acres but I wouldn't get a tenth of that price for a full cord delivered.

Maybe I shoot him an email and ask which direction the tree fell because I wont pay over $1000 for logs that fell to the South because everyone knows South falling tulip Poplar trees are inferior in every way to North or even East falling poplar. However if it's a West falling tree then it's worth double the asking price and I'd take it immediately!

It really makes you wonder if they ever get any serious calls. What's funny is that you can buy a whole truckload of whitewood from HD or Lowes for less than $1000 and that's sawn dried and sanded.

Wow.

Just wow.

That is right up there with the one where the person had a "standing live paper birch for sale, 20' tall, 6", for $200 - must dig up with spade."

He thinks its worth $ for boards not firewood. Poplar is used for molding.

When I get poplar I dont burn it because I absoutely LOVE the fragrance it gives off. I keep it in a copper bucket near the stove for rustic looks and aroma. If I knew how to wittle or make small wood projects I'd use it for that or throw small blocks in the dresser draws the way some people use cedar blocks.

leaf4952 said:
And by the way . . you guys are being kind of rude. And thats not nice !

:question: Explain? Did I miss somthing?

It got marked down. Only $900 cash and carry!

Even at 900, that it outrageous! I mean really, theres not that much wood in that log and its not worth the effort of most sawmills to process something thats only 11' long. Some people seriously need to get a clue!

You can already chop some off that. Mills take logs cut in even lengths, not odd.

Also, don't mistake the tulip poplar for the poplar we usually see. It does make some good lumber whereas the poplar we have in our woods makes a nice mess at best.

If that tulip poplar is worth $1300 then I figure I'm about ready to prepare a good $10K of cherry for the woodburner.

Attachments

• Cherry1.JPG
    Cherry1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 457
  • Cherry2.JPG
    Cherry2.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 470
  • Cherry3.JPG
    Cherry3.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 470
Oops I forgot to tell you about this bridge I have for sale.................

[quote author="leaf4952" date="1227610567"}It just sounds like some are poking some big fun . . overboard.
but whatever[/quote]

Well, we were. That was the point of posting it. To make fun of silly things on Craigslist.

caber said:
[quote author="leaf4952" date="1227610567"}It just sounds like some are poking some big fun . . overboard.
but whatever

Well, we were. That was the point of posting it. To make fun of silly things on Craigslist.[/quote]

Sorry - it was not clear to me. I thought YOU were selling the wood. And everyone else was making fun of you - a fellow Hearther. My mistake. Sarcasm isn't always clear in written words.

leaf4952 said:
caber said:
but whatever

Well, we were. That was the point of posting it. To make fun of silly things on Craigslist.

Sorry - it was not clear to me. I thought YOU were selling the wood. And everyone else was making fun of you - a fellow Hearther. My mistake. Sarcasm isn't always clear in written words.[/quote]So True, sarcasm can be mis-understood even in the spoken word. Sometimes I find my sarcastic sense of humor just goes right over people's heads. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.