Holy moisture content Batman! I mean Boxelder.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
BOXELDER (Acer negundo)
Other Names: Ash-leaf Maple
Key ID Features: Leaves, Fruit, Buds, Bark
Boxelder is kind of the "black sheep" of the maple family. It's compound LEAVES resemble ashes, usually with five leaflets. The thickish, purplish or greenish TWIGS have a blue-powdery look to them earlier in the season. BUDS are roundish. The "helicopters" are V-shaped and about 1.5 inches long. Boxelder has male and female trees. The females will often retain some of the helicopters into the winter. The firm BARK is a warm brown and becomes ridged fairly early. The TRUNK is often sweepy with large, low forks. The MEDIUM-SIZED tree is often considered a weed, especially the female trees which can shed large amounts of seed in the summer. In the fall, the tree is associated with infestations of boxelder bugs. They are harmless but are not usually welcome when they invade basements. Boxelder grows rapidly and makes an excellent climbing tree for kids. Boxelder is an aggressive invader of fallow fields and roadside ditches.

I had some large splits of Boxelder under the porch. Decided to see what the moisture content was in them. Figured it would be high because I just scrounged it in the middle of last summer. But I thought I would see something like maybe 25-30% and wait until next fall to burn it. Or maybe late spring for heating the DHW in the late shoulder season. Split two of them open and the moisture meter starting going faster than I had heard it. 44%! 46%! Holy sh!t. I guess it will be next winter for that stuff. It was free, good thing. :)

Box elder has frequently been given a bad rap. It certainly is not the best wood but it is far from the worst. Split and stack and wait. Price was right for sure.

I've burned a little Boxelder in several different years when I got a scrounge. If it is free and easy to get. Why not take it? Like you said Dennis. Just need to give it time to dry. How is the winter going for you and yours this year? Had much for cold temps where you are?

plus when its dry it helps to start your fire with harder woods that doesn't start off quickly. I've been mixing in with my Hedge to get a good fire started.

I will burn it just to get rid of the bugs!! Not sure it helps, but sure cannot hurt to get rid of the trees carrying the bugs namesake. South facing side of my house can be litterally covered at time - I mean creepy COVERED - with Box elder bugs and Jap beetles(lady bug looking things) when it is warm because the sun just cooks on that side all day. I can only suspect there are millions under the vinal siding?? Ofcourse there are always some getting in through cracks and leaks so my slider always has 5-10 creeping on it on a sunny day. So much so that I keep my mini shop vac right there to suck em up.

OMG, I never paid attention to the box elder bug discussions because we don't have any on either of our properties. But we've been cutting it for someone out near the Cottage and just got a downed tree to cut for a neighbor at the Old House. Come to find out the one near the Old House is a box elder, so I just searched them. We've gotten infested with those a few times there!! UGH I hate them! They like the sun, they will cover the front of the Old house where there's sun, along wth lady bugs.

I hate jap beetles more, they eat my impatiens.

And both of them bite!

I have some box elder and am always amazed at how quickly the stuff dries.

Gasifier said:
I've burned a little Boxelder in several different years when I got a scrounge. If it is free and easy to get. Why not take it? Like you said Dennis. Just need to give it time to dry. How is the winter going for you and yours this year? Had much for cold temps where you are?

Winter just began last week here. You no doubt have had much more winter than us this year. Hardly any snow and the warmest winter I ever remember except for those winters we spent in Arizona. Looks like we're locked into the 30's for a bit but with March coming, anything can happen. Sometimes it seems that March can be the longest month of the year.

Have a big boxelder log in the yard - 15" or so. Has been down for 6 years, kinda punky though. Don't miss the bugs or gutter full of seeds at all!

Gasifier said:
BOXELDER (Acer negundo)
Other Names: Ash-leaf Maple
Key ID Features: Leaves, Fruit, Buds, Bark
Boxelder is kind of the "black sheep" of the maple family. It's compound LEAVES resemble ashes, usually with five leaflets. The thickish, purplish or greenish TWIGS have a blue-powdery look to them earlier in the season. BUDS are roundish. The "helicopters" are V-shaped and about 1.5 inches long. Boxelder has male and female trees. The females will often retain some of the helicopters into the winter. The firm BARK is a warm brown and becomes ridged fairly early. The TRUNK is often sweepy with large, low forks. The MEDIUM-SIZED tree is often considered a weed, especially the female trees which can shed large amounts of seed in the summer. In the fall, the tree is associated with infestations of boxelder bugs. They are harmless but are not usually welcome when they invade basements. Boxelder grows rapidly and makes an excellent climbing tree for kids. Boxelder is an aggressive invader of fallow fields and roadside ditches.

I had some large splits of Boxelder under the porch. Decided to see what the moisture content was in them. Figured it would be high because I just scrounged it in the middle of last summer. But I thought I would see something like maybe 25-30% and wait until next fall to burn it. Or maybe late spring for heating the DHW in the late shoulder season. Split two of them open and the moisture meter starting going faster than I had heard it. 44%! 46%! Holy sh!t. I guess it will be next winter for that stuff. It was free, good thing. :)

Gasifier, looks like tomorrow could bring down some wood with the high wind warning in your area, looks like Massena is in for the same.

zap

Gasifier, looks like tomorrow could bring down some wood with the high wind warning in your area, looks like Massena is in for the same.

Thanks for the warning ZAP. I didn't know the winds were going to be that high. They were saying the temps could be 48 °F , now NOAA says 43 °F . Those gust look like they could end up being a pain. Glad it will be a little warmer. 55mph gust would be real cold if it was 20 degrees out!

Yeah, I just called DH to make sure we had oil and gas on hand for the saw, they're saying we could get over 70mph here. Trees aren't used to that around here! I am planning on running home, battening down whatever can be and getting the house hotter than normal so I can let the fire die down before it gets that crazy. I might keep a small one going, but it'll be drafting like mad if it's really that windy. Now hopefully we don't lose any more shingles like we did in the last wind storm :p Well, that and hopefully no trees fall on anything but the ground.

Backwoods Savage said:
Box elder has frequently been given a bad rap. It certainly is not the best wood but it is far from the worst. Split and stack and wait. Price was right for sure.

Yep, bad rap from me for sure. I cut all of it off my property, treat the stump with pure glyphosate, and pull any and all saplings I see......it's a total eradicaton project :)

I got to the point where I didn't even split it anymore, just piled it up and burned it!

HOWEVER, I'm trying not to make it appear like I HATE the stuff :p

Status
Not open for further replies.