Holy MOLY (Quadrafire)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
I searched other Quadrafire IR posts about normal operating temps. I'm not TOO concerned about it...but what's a general consensus on these?

This sucker CRANKS heat. Its almost unbearable to reload it!

Most people report the IR running about 650-700F with a good load of wood. Let it burn down a lot more before reloading. Maybe with 3-400 stove top temps?

Just don't let that stove turn red. Oh wait....

Last edited:
Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
Im running it at a constant 600. The manual doesn't say anything for operating temp. I wasn't too concerned about overfiring it. The DW was 500-600'ish so this couldn't be far off. My wood is CSS for the DW so I can't quite fill it like it could be. I'm pumped about being able to stack in the stove both ways. I could with the DW but it was kind of a pain.

Something else I couldnt find...was how to adjust the latch cam on the front doors. Or do they not require it?

Something else I couldnt find...was how to adjust the latch cam on the front doors. Or do they not require it?

Yes, my IR loves to be hot. 700 range with thermo on the left bottom/front of the griddle.

Ummm, the latch cam. I guess mine hasn't required it, cause I haven't touched the latch (5 years).

And and begreen is right on letting it burn down more before reload. If mine is still pretty hot and I reload it (pretty full), that temp really starts to climb, and things get HOT.

Yes, my IR loves to be hot. 700 range with thermo on the left bottom/front of the griddle.

Ummm, the latch cam. I guess mine hasn't required it, cause I haven't touched the latch (5 years).

And and begreen is right on letting it burn down more before reload. If mine is still pretty hot and I reload it (pretty full), that temp really starts to climb, and things get HOT.
Ive got my thermo right smack dab in the middle of the griddle. Speaking of the griddle, I thought I was doing something wrong when it was curing. It was that nasty crappy brown...then I woke up the next morning it looked great.

I'm completely impressed with Quadrafire. After I paid for this one I started to doubt my purchase. Mostly because the DW would heat the house, kind of. And I didnt want to step back. But this stove is awesome. Ida done one of the step tops but my hearth won't allow it.

600 sounds about right. I run mine between 550 and 650. If you don't need the heat, let it burn down to when you do. At 200, there are still plenty of coals
for an easy re-load. On the latch, I haven't adjusted the latch in 6 years. If it isn't broken... I'm also on my original gaskets.

Mine has seen north of 700 a few times, but it's usually if I use too small of wood or not paying close enough attention. The rise between 450 and 650 can happen pretty quickly.

I was wondering if they needed adjustment. No one at stove said anything and book didn't say anything.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.