Holy score Batman! Not sure what type....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
joecool85 said:
PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I paid 350 and this size diameter is not my intention. I have 84 acres to cut many downed trees that are various sizes. I can't keep up with them, now with this load... I think I am done for a while, probably cut more in the fall! I think I am far enough ahead of what my yard will support and what the wifey will allow! I already have 2+ cord split and drying for a while this should give me another 2 + cord.

I already have 4 cords split and stacked, should have another 2 or so in the next month. Then my wife is telling me she wants to see us double that by fall so that we have a good fuel supply stored up. I can't argue, but I'm gonna be tired. Although, it will save some time mowing the lawn since a good deal of it will be under wood!

Your wife sounds quite smart . . . vs. some stories of spouses who complain about the wood taking up too much room or they complain that their spouse spends too much time playing with their wood and already have enough . . . only to find out the next winter that they didn't have enough.

firefighterjake said:
Your wife sounds quite smart . . . vs. some stories of spouses who complain about the wood taking up too much room or they complain that their spouse spends too much time playing with their wood and already have enough . . . only to find out the next winter that they didn't have enough.

Thanks. I think I found a keeper.

And you're right about others running out of wood. I remember a guy I talked to saying he had "at least 3 or 4 cords in the shed", which he figured should get him through the winter. This was a 1,400 sq ft house in Maine, wood that had been cut that summer - not split yet and most of it was pine, fir and alder. On top of that, I saw his "stack" and it was more like 1 - 1.5 cords. He ran out at the end of December/beginning of January...didn't even make it to the coldest part of the year, never mind through it! Luckily he had an oil furnace to rely on or he would have been one cold idiot.

joecool85 said:
firefighterjake said:

Thanks. I think I found a keeper.

And you're right about others running out of wood. I remember a guy I talked to saying he had "at least 3 or 4 cords in the shed", which he figured should get him through the winter. This was a 1,400 sq ft house in Maine, wood that had been cut that summer - not split yet and most of it was pine, fir and alder. On top of that, I saw his "stack" and it was more like 1 - 1.5 cords. He ran out at the end of December/beginning of January...didn't even make it to the coldest part of the year, never mind through it! Luckily he had an oil furnace to rely on or he would have been one cold idiot.

It will be interesting to see if this guy has learned his lesson . . . and gets his wood sooner rather than later, stockpiles more of it and gets hardwood vs. softwood . . . or if he simply writes off this past winter as a fluke and repeats his past mistakes.

firefighterjake said:
It will be interesting to see if this guy has learned his lesson . . . and gets his wood sooner rather than later, stockpiles more of it and gets hardwood vs. softwood . . . or if he simply writes off this past winter as a fluke and repeats his past mistakes.

He didn't learn - or at least I doubt it. But maybe he did, me moved to Arizona shortly after that incident (this was 3 years ago). He was a jerk anyway, but that's another story for another time.

Wifey digs the heat and so does the boy....I am not quite sure if they know where the heat comes from;-) Wife is very cool but yard is not as great looking as it will be. The land scaping leaves a bit to be desired. However good news, today the land scapers are coming. I am allowed to get more wood as I have been splitting between the rain drops. She sees how neat it can be and she is cool now!

I know I am right, you know I am right but she doesn't yet! I think of it this way: She works out and gets nothing accomplished but a very fit and toned body, i'm not complaining! I work out by cutting, splitting, and stacking wood. I get lots of exercise and get stuff done!

Plus instead of our gas bill being 200+bux/month it is like 40-75 bux......She pays the gas bill;-)

PS. This stuff is very stringy and a PITA to split!!!!

red elm.....Would have made a nice milling stick!

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
Wifey digs the heat and so does the boy....I am not quite sure if they know where the heat comes from;-) Wife is very cool but yard is not as great looking as it will be. The land scaping leaves a bit to be desired. However good news, today the land scapers are coming. I am allowed to get more wood as I have been splitting between the rain drops. She sees how neat it can be and she is cool now!

I know I am right, you know I am right but she doesn't yet! I think of it this way: She works out and gets nothing accomplished but a very fit and toned body, i'm not complaining! I work out by cutting, splitting, and stacking wood. I get lots of exercise and get stuff done!

Plus instead of our gas bill being 200+bux/month it is like 40-75 bux......She pays the gas bill;-)

PS. This stuff is very stringy and a PITA to split!!!!

How are you splitting it? By hand or with a splitter?

I have an electric 5 ton than bust through no problem but it is just so stringy. I must reset and peel it some.

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I have an electric 5 ton than bust through no problem but it is just so stringy. I must reset and peel it some.

Ah, neat. How do you like that electric splitter? I've thought about getting one but worry that it wouldn't be any faster than be doing it with the maul.

I thought the same last night so I tried with a maul I got from Home Depot awhile ago. No go! As amatter of fact it would bounce back at me about 2' off the round. So I tried to hammer the wedge into the marks I made and still no go! This little splitter might be, well, little...But damn does it work well! My uncle who cuts and burns in an outdoor boiler(major waste!!!!) was actuall impressed with it. Nothing impresses him so it can't be too bad. I have a 20-25 ton, I believe MTD splitter but needs some engine work. So this would be real nice to bust up these logs.

A few months, homelite, I got from speciality tool store here in Washington pa for 250. They have at home depot for 299. I know it is not made to be "run" like this but it really barely strains. As soon as the strain starts I let go and readjust to cut the ring or grain. I have spilt so far about 4 cord with and I think its' great for the money!

I have split about a cored of oak 20" diameter no problem at all. Cherry no problem, walnut no problem, not even a strain on the motor! This elm is a bear but I got all the big stuff done and will get to the 10-12" stuff tonight....Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.