holy smokes wood everywhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
big storms blowed thru friday night....just now got power...took down a big hickory in my yard.....8ft around...and 70 foot tall...just got done today working it up..also took down a poplar tree in the back yard....and im telling u with in a mile both ways from my house...there must be 100 more trees down...ill try to take some pics soon

hickory hung up
102_1899.jpg

root ball
102_1896.jpg

big rounds
102_1937.jpg

poplar in the back yard
102_1905.jpg

Reactions: smokinj
That hickory will make some nice firewood for next year or later but I am sure you did not want to loose it. Just be grateful neither did more damage. Keep the saw running hard and you can take off some this winter when most are cutting away.......or not ;) Careful with those blow overs Steel and happy cuttin

The rabbits got a scare eh?
I see allot of oak leaves in the 3rd pic, & an upside down truck shell in the back ground.
You had some stuff moving around, glad everyone is OK.
Nice close score, (in your yard :eek: ). But that may be to close;ex
Really really glad you are all OK !
What do you think of the big tree that still standing by the house? Time for some pruning to lower it's wind profile?

Across the line in Virginia we have a lot of trees down also. Nothing like free firewood, and hickory is excellent. Glad that tree blew away from your house!

all that wood, too little time.......Wonder if all the wood that's out there will drive the price-per-cord down at all in your area? I highly doubt it, but for those that don't cut their own, here's to hoping that will be the case.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Whew! Glad your house (and hutch) escaped. Sorry you lost that beauty of a hick, though. We also have tons down. I got off easy, and helped cut up a few oak tops in the neighborhood over the weekend. Said "No thanks" to a few big leaners. A man's gotsta know his limitations.

all that wood, too little time.......Wonder if all the wood that's out there will drive the price-per-cord down at all in your area? I highly doubt it, but for those that don't cut their own, here's to hoping that will be the case.....

We had a tornado last June 1st and combined with the milder winter some of the wood guys are hurting, you can buy a cord of green for $135 split, bought 2 myself since I had a little room . Might not have the same affect where steeltown is since the tornado cut a 40 mile long path.

Wow, glad you weren't hurt! Looks like your buildings squeeked through the storm ok.

Very similar to the one we lost. Check my thread to compare, it's almost eerie! Glad it missed everything and you guys are OK.

fv

A lot of trees down around here but not as bad as other places. Every thing I see down around here was rotten or weak. Down south a little healthy trees were blown over.

A lot of trees down around here but not as bad as other places. Every thing I see down around here was rotten or weak. Down south a little healthy trees were blown over.

Our hickory was solid as a rock.

fv

Never thought I would find myself wishing for windstorms... ::-) Great score. Keep your eyes & ears open and get 6 years ahead.

We had a twin Sweet Gum go down here. Lucky it didn't hit anything important. Just took down a couple of tops of pine trees and top of a maple. They must be at least 3 foot each at the stump and about 8 foot in diameter together. Here is a shot of the root ball. My wife is right at five foot for perspective. This is part of the storm that hit on the last of june. We were without power for @ 48 hrs. Too hot to clear and cut it up. would like to find a logging company that would take a couple of cuts for vainer or lumber.

1341101937442.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
DANG!:eek:

fv

Anyone who can cut in this heat much stronger than I..........

Great score, lucky with the shed, shame about the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.