Holz Hausen - Base ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
I'm thinking of building a holz hausen for my woodpile this year, mostly just for the looks and I like a nice project here an there. I know there's a few people who build em, and I'm wondering what you guys use for a base? I did see a page out there on the intarwebz that just said to put some splits right on the ground, but call me crazy, I'd like to keep it raised a little so the bottom can season as well. I had thought of using pallets, but the fact that they are square and not round seemed a little problematic.

The ideas I have so far are:

1. just the splits on the ground method, which says it might help alleviate the "angle" problems from stacking. My issue with this is I don't think the bottom will dry.

2. Throw a tarp down, followed by the splits on the ground method. I don't know how much if at all this will help with drying, and the blue sticking out will definitely be uglier than just stacking it on the grass.

that's all for now

Some other ideas would be placing branches or stone down to keep the good wood off the ground.

I too do the 4 pallets, I put brick under mine to try to extend their life a little. It doesn't look as nice as having it built right on the ground, but I'm with you, I'd like to burn that bottom row, plus it's gotta help with the airflow under and up through the stack.

Attachments

• Holz Hauesen finished 2.jpg
    Holz Hauesen finished 2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 676
Thanks for the ideas. 4 pallets it is.

Use 4 pallets. The pallets distrubute the weight much better and should remain level during the freeze/thaw cylces...

Attachments

• HH Base.JPG
    HH Base.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 475
Almost everyone has access to junk wood. Just build the first layer out of sacrifice junk wood and bark scraps. Looks better than pallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.