Home air compressors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Looking for a decent home air compressor. Purpose is general around the house use, small garage/shop work, air ratchet, impact gun, nailer...stuff like that. For example, I'm replacing the wheel bearings in my truck this weekend and an impact wrench and air ratchet would make the job alot easier, so I'd like to have my new tools for the weekend.

Budget is around $200, can go a bit higher for the right product...I'm spending my car restoration money here, so I don't want to use it all up, but I also don't want to waste money buying the wrong tool.

Found this on CL, its local to me so I'll check it out and make an offer.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/1913118507.html

Also looking at something like this from Harbor Freight, great prices, good reviews and 20% off coupons available.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...p-10-gallon-115-psi-air-compressor-90234.html

Or this, I can get it for $80

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...on-115-psi-portable-air-compressor-95386.html

Opinions? I'm thinking the CL one because its bigger and heavier duty in every way and is (I think) a reputable brand...though I do see them in Wal Mart too...I've never seen a black Cambell compressor tank though, anyone know the deal with that?

Thanks.

No opinions . . . but I'm interested in opinions as well since my tiny tankless air compressor is pretty weak and not very useful.

Mayhem - if you think that you will be using this to power much for air tools (ratchet, sand blaster, impacts, die grinders, etc.), the small tanks that you are looking at will be very disappointing. You will drain the PSI much faster than it can be replaced by the pump. Just sayin' that for air tools it is more than just psi that you are looking for. It is volume as well (and the output of the compressor to keep up with the volume). Any more than a few seconds of use on an 8 or 10 gallon tank and you will notice the tool performance drops off, big time.

Personally - with your budget, I would look into the used market for a little beefier machine. 20 gallon tanks would probably be the smallest that I am looking for, for anything more than just blowing some air around or filling a tire. Just one dudes opinion.

And if there are options - go with the cast iron pump instead of the aluminum or diaphragm type compressors.

That first one looks like it says it delivers 6 CF @ 90 PSI. That sounds reasonable for light use. My compressor is rated at 3.5 at 90 and it won't keep up with a framing nailer or an die grinder. What that means is I can't use the tools continuously. I have to let the compressor fill up, and then I can use the die grinder for 30 or 45 seconds, and so forth. Other than nailers, the die grinder is the only other type of tool I have, so I'm far from an expert on such things, but I wish I had more CFM.

Thanks for mentioning that. I forgot to say that the CH compressor was probably a decent fit. They are on the low end of compressors, but they work. Unless you are looking for alot of run hours, that may do a decent job for you.

Pawn shop where I bought mine 33 gallon 6.5 horse 100.00 bucks had it sence 2002.

You'll get what you pay for, I'd say go for the CH if it looks clean.

I've got a chinese compressor similar to the HF beauties, it works fine for what I need it for, keeps up with a roofing nailer fine, I wouldn't want to nail off sheating with it though. Any of these will work fine for taking off a few lug nuts once a month. You sure don't need 60 gallons sitting around just to save you 30 seconds of waiting once in a while. There's also the fact that the little chinese compressors will fill up in a minute or so, and the bigger ones will take longer, if it's in your garage you probably won't leave it on all the time.

On the other hand the chinese compressor had a little piece of plastic wedged into the pressure switch that caused a lot of hassle the first week until I found it, and the thermal overload burned out several years later (easy to bypass if you're willing to take that risk).

I'm guessing the CH will be much quieter if that's an issue.

I have had my Craftsman 20 gal for almost 10 yrs now. Powers everything from impact gun/tools to nail guns to filling tires. I think I only paid about $200 back then for it. Has a nice handle and wheels so I can wheel it to where I want to work; in the driveway, front yard, front porch and run the air lines in to the house. Could not live without it. While I think there are better brands of tools, the Craftsman stuff is the best for the $$ when you are only an occasional user.

CTwoodburner said:
I have had my Craftsman 20 gal for almost 10 yrs now. Powers everything from impact gun/tools to nail guns to filling tires. I think I only paid about $200 back then for it. Has a nice handle and wheels so I can wheel it to where I want to work; in the driveway, front yard, front porch and run the air lines in to the house. Could not live without it. While I think there are better brands of tools, the Craftsman stuff is the best for the $$ when you are only an occasional user.

I have a Craftsmen compressor that's going on 25 years. Unless things have changed a lot lately look for one with a cast iron compressor with an oil sump (not oil-less).

As stated about cfm before, look at the ratings of consumption for the tools, and the output of the compressor at 90 psi. forgetta bout any cfm ratings at lower psi, that rating is fairly useless. then look at the duty cycle for the compressor. most higher end are 100%, but have seen as low as 15%. wont be able to run much for long at low cfm/duty cycle without overheating the compressor. wich boosts condensation buildup and shortens compressor life at same time. look for a unit with a thermal overload, and preferably cast iron for longevity. I run a 27 gallon 150 psi craftsam unit, $150 at a pawn shop, and it is way overworked. overheats all the time. annoying to say the least.

go big "Quincy" AWSOME they are alot of money but 100 percent usa made and 50,000 hr pump life rating

The trouble with a compressor is that once you have one you tend to up size your tools and grow out of it. Little ones will work for many things but if you plan on any painting using HVLP guns or sandblasting forget the small ones. My current one is a CH I got from HF 12 years or so back. It's ok but it's definitely no Quincy. They, like all the others like like crazy with their motor sizes and output ratings. Mine is a 6.5 26 gallon ( yea right) model and it will run a couple models of paint guns for a panel or possibly more if you hold your mouth right. For basic needs like a small air wrench and such any of them will work if you are careful just don't expect too much and don't get it so hot as to melt anything. Been there done that myself. For a cheapy even Aldi supermarket often has a $100 chinese compressor that doesn't look half bad and is pretty compact. You can run a conventional spray gun off any of the smaller ones and if willing to put up with overspray they will work well and are much easier to clean and keep up than the new HVLP models. Whatever you do don't trust the output ratings the manufacturers state when sizing a cheap one, they aren't even close.

I've got a CF that puts out 7.4 cfm @ 90 psi. Other than a run cap its been flawless. Here's the problem: Its too heavy for small stuff and too small for big stuff. I can run two framing guns but how often do I frame with both hands? Its oilless so its nice for finish work on stained wood but its LOUD so I never want to start it up? More than enough for anything other than constant use air tools, but the reason its lasted for me is I don't try to use it with anything bigger than a framing nailer. What I would want is two (here we go) compressors: A small pancake style for mobile jobs or small stuff that wouldn't hurt to lug around, and then a 60 gallon 2 stage monster that will push 12-15 cfm @ 90 psi.

btuser said:
What I would want is two (here we go) compressors: A small pancake style for mobile jobs or small stuff that wouldn't hurt to lug around, and then a 60 gallon 2 stage monster that will push 12-15 cfm @ 90 psi.

That is my setup other than the 60 gallon is 9.4 cfm single stage. The pancake gets used 99% of the time even though it doesn't quite keep up with either the framing or roofing nailers if you are moving along. I usually do both by myself anyway so it isn't a big deal.

Yeah, somehow I'm usually hooking up to someone else's compressor and no one is hooking up to mine!

i have a 30 Gallon craftsman, powers about 6 cfm at 90. I have had fit or about 12 years with no issues, paid about $220 then and came with all kinds of goodies. It powers most everything i need. When you said you are doing car restoration, thats a whole new ballgame. If you are going to be using a sander or grinder a lot, then read the requirements and go with that. You will prob find out that its a lot more money then you wan to spend. I use a grinder/cutter with mine every now and then. If i am using it for an extended period of time, then i have to wait every so often to recharge. It is ok for exhaust cutting and the like, but not if you are sanding a whole car.

That looks like an older CH compressor so it may be ok, but i would stay away from the current Wally CH's. It also seems expensive, seeing as how you could go with a new craftsman for roughly the same. With a used compressor, you just dont know how it was taken care of. Water left in the tank, oil levels, if it isnt oil-less, etc..

Good air compressors last a long time, so it's one of the things worth spending good money on. I bought a 60 gallon Ingersoll-Rand from TSC for $600 or so two years ago, and there's nothing I can't do with it. There's a couple 60 gallon Craftsman, CH, and Huskys out there for less money.

On the in-home work, I use a Kobalt CO2 compressor that kicks butt. Clips on my belt and uses paintball gun CO2 tanks that cost $2 to fill. Says 1,200 brads on one tank, but I think it's more like 500 when you hook/unhook the tank and hose. Don't matter, I ain't shot 500 brads in three years!

Finally, if your compressor ain't keepin' up with a framing nailer, it's time to go. A dozen balloons'll power one, for gawd sake!

S

stear clear of stanly bostich pancake compresser. I bought one that came with 3 nail guns. the nail guns were probably ok ,but the compressor was very slow and I took it back the same day. JUNK in my opinion.

I returned it for a dewalt compressor on wheels that cost $60.00 more and came with no guns ,but I'm much happier with it. It pumps air very fast for a small compressor. Still not much volume thow.

I have a harbor freight compressor. Have been using it for the last 4 years with great success. it does a good job for all my needs (air ratchet, impact wrench, nail gun, air brush, LVLP paint sprayer, fulling tires, blowing stuff out, etc). No complaints. Also watch for 20% coupons, probably can buy them off ebay. I have 2 in my wallet waiting for an excuse to buy something :)

image_3240.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...on-115-psi-portable-air-compressor-95386.html

I have the pancake Porter Cable one, as well. I use it to run the automatic backtack, undertrimmers, and presser foot lift functions on my new Juki sewing machine. I also want to add a pneumatic stapler and paint gun to my aresenal. I wanted a larger capacity compressor (to cut the cycle time as air is used; it's loud) but I was under gun to get one in time for the sewing machine's delivery and the price was certainly right. It is more than adequate for my needs since I can't sit at the sewing machine and run a stapler or paint gun at the same time. I will shop around for a something with more capacity as I begin to add tools and more "reserve air" becomes a greater priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.