Home built hearths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon3r

Jul 20, 2014
Indiana
I am looking at putting a wood stove my house, and to save some money I want to make my own hearth. How do I find out what the k factor or r value of 1/2 in. Cement board is for my floor protection.

Welcome, Brandon. What stove do you want to install? There are many out there that only need a non-combustible material covering the floor.

I am looking at a US Stove 2500LN, a Napoleon S4, and a Heatilator WS22, theses seem to be the ones I've narrowed down to in my price range. Also looking at Ventis double wall stove pipe and double wall chimney pipe. Never heard of the stove pipe manufacturer, feel free to comment on pros and cons. Thanks

I am looking at a US Stove 2500LN, a Napoleon S4, and a Heatilator WS22, theses seem to be the ones I've narrowed down to in my price range. Also looking at Ventis double wall stove pipe and double wall chimney pipe. Never heard of the stove pipe manufacturer, feel free to comment on pros and cons. Thanks

You are looking at some serious heaters there. From the stoves you mentioned, only the US Stove seems to require thermal floor protection. The others are non-combustible surface only. Another budget stove with ember protection only is the Drolet Myriad: http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/myriad Reviews have been very positive so far.
Napoleon also came out recently with a new budget line: the Timberwolf stoves. The EPA 2300 is a large stove with ember protection hearth requirement: http://www.timberwolffireplaces.com/products/wood-burning-stoves/timberwolf-2300c/

Another budget stove that is well-liked here is the Englander NC30 available e. g. at Home Depot. But it needs a hearth with a r-value of 1.5. If you do a little forum search you will find several threads how members here made their own.

How is your wood supply? Do you have dry wood that has been seasoned for 2 to 3 years?

I did leave out an important detail by accident, I live in a modular so the stove must be mobil home approved. Think I've narrowed it down to the Napoleon and the Heatilator, and may be leaning towards the Heatilator because of longer burn times, 12 hours versus 9 with the Napoleon. I do wish it had a ash pan tho, that's where I'm hung up at right now.

Ash pans are over-rated as are most manufacturer's claims of burn times.

Hello the Eco choice WS22 is a big heater, 2.7 cuft firebox. Sold many of them, they are a good value for the cost. Ashpans are available on their more expensive sisters at Quadrafire. These are no frills but good heating stoves. Burn time on low/med burn should be 8-10 hours, a pretty good choice. Get your wood stacked and seasoning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.