Home Depot $187.00 a ton in Monticello

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minakena

Oct 16, 2010
Sullivan county, NY
Glad to report that our Home Depot here in Monticello,NY has also dropped their prices to $187.00 per ton.I have to say that puts a smile on my face Even though they are only stocked up with Stove Chow it's hard to pass on the price. Seems we are seeing a pattern on lower pellet prices here in the Northeast. That's ok by me!

Hello minakena from Orange County,

you might want to get some of those Stove Chows to test burn....they are getting pretty good reviews this year, and that price is right! Time to stock up?

Hello imacman, I've been burning some of those Stove chows and what I've found is mixed results. I've come across some that the pellets are dark in color and others that are lighter. They seemed to be a good shoulder season pellet as the heat output wasn't really up to par. But as for the last couple bags I picked up must have come from a different batch as they burned clean and hot. Seems to be hit or miss with them but for the price who's to complain. LOL !

Interesting about the pellet color. I wonder if you got some of last years left-overs?? The Stove Chow's I got in the Newburgh HD were all of the lighter color, and I found them to burn well. I'd even consider them a shoulder+ pellet.

Hackettsown, NJ HD same price--even the bags are $3.74!! So easy to try before you commit to a ton.

Pic of the Stove Chows I got this year from HD:

Attachments

• stove chow.jpg
    stove chow.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 665
I am burning Stove Chow and there doing well. So far all light colored in my batch. Pretty pleased with my ton. House is toasty from a pellet I only paid $176/ton. Didn't think I would ever see that price again!

imacman said:
Pic of the Stove Chows I got this year from HD:

yep, Looks like the ones I just picked up tonight. last weeks were the opposite, short and light . Maybe your right that they had some left over from last year so it's a mix.

jay, i just beat you....just paid #161 for a ton..... :)

I just bought 10 bags of Green Team at Lowes yeterday at the $187 ton or $3.74 a bag price. They seem to be a very nice pellet for the price.

Those who have burned both Stove Chow and Green Team which do you prefer. I could have purchased the Stove Chow as well and will be returning for more. The nice thing about the bag price being the same is that I can just pick them up here and there in my travels. I'm in sales and pass many a Home Depot and Lowes in the course of a week!

j-takeman said:
geek said:
jay, i just beat you....just paid #161 for a ton..... :)

How? Please share the NICE deal you scored.

got a 10% movers coupon on the HD website, went to waterbury HD and bought a ton, total was around $161, will try to pick up in couple trips in the next couple days.
The woman told me that freedom fuel is much better brand than stove chow, i replied "do you have a pellet stove in use?", she said "no, but feedback from people is that freedom fuel is really good".

Bottom line is that even stove chow being a middle of the road pellet at that price i have no complains...!!!

I tried both Freedom Fuel and Stove Chow in my Mt Vernon... FF wasn't bad , but I think Stove Chow was a little better. A bit more heat for me. Both were in the "average" category in my mind.

I have been burning stove chow since the cold came in around Thanksgiving. The house is warm and the pellets are heating 2 of 3 heat zones, plus my basement where the stove is located. I have a Big E and because of the temps I have been burning on #3 setting, costing me about $5.00 a day. No complaints, especially when I look at oil prices going up.

Was at Home Depot in Green Bay today. They had Eco-Flame pellets for $177.00/ton or $3.54 per bag. Bag says 100% pine. Made by Confluence Energy in Colorado. Bought 5 bags just to try. Confluence has them on their web site listed as 8300 btu/lb. 0.47% ash and 0.45% fines. Pellets have a definite pine smell to them.

I know cost does play an important factor when buying the right pellet especially the way the economy is right now. I guess the saying " you always get what you pay for" doesn't apply here. But it's refreshing to hear that you can still get a good hot burning pellet that doesn't burn a hole in your wallet. I know there are better pellets out there if I wanted to pay the price but right now I'm leaning towards the Stove Chows from Home Depot which are more affordable and I think a good value for the money.

Just installed a pellet stove, bought the last three tons from Monticello HD on Saturday! New to these things. Not sure if this thing is working right. Flame characteristics constantly changing. A little leary about leaving the house. Wonder if I should have just got a woodstove. To me they seem less complicated! Any tips for a newbie??

Same deal with my stove chows. My first half ton was a darker color and slightly larger. Over the weekend I humped about 15 bags from my shed to add to my stash in the basement. This morning I opened a bag and poured it in. The pellets were much lighter in color and looked like smaller pellets. Right now I don't see any difference in heat, they don't smell any different nor was one harder or softer, but it was sure strange to see such a different contrast from the same label.

big24nut said:
Just installed a pellet stove, bought the last three tons from Monticello HD on Saturday! New to these things. Not sure if this thing is working right. Flame characteristics constantly changing. A little leary about leaving the house. Wonder if I should have just got a woodstove. To me they seem less complicated! Any tips for a newbie??

Welcome to the the wonderful world of pellets! I think you made a wise choice in choosing a pellet stove over a wood burning stove. Wood stoves are just to much like work when it comes to cutting,spliting hauling and handling. And there is heat setting to adjust to your desired comfort. Plus pellet stoves are much more energy efficient. I've had my pellet stove for 3 years now And I remember when I first installed it That I wasn't sure how it was supposed to burn either. You'll soon come to realize that your flame height will somewhat vary because the pellets that are being fed into your burnpot are not a constant equal amount. What stove do you have? If you do have any issues there are alot of folks here that would be more than happy to give you some good tips and advice.

Been heating pretty much my entire house so far with pellets, very little oil used. It has been very cold upstate NY and I have gone thru about a ton and one half pellets so far. I have got 2-1/2 tons in the garage and I noticed the pellet price has dropped. Is this a trend or an anomaly? $3.74/bag or 187.00/ton now at the Lowes in Niskayuna, NY. Have not checked HD, but with their price match policy I'll bet they are the same. Lowes carries "Stove Chow" and a brand packaged for them "Clean Energy". Had bought "Somersets" from Lowes earlier in the season they burn very well. Not real pleased with the Stove Chow but how do you pass up at the price. Lowe's brand seems to burn as well as the Somersets, not sure where they are produced.

What is the HD "movers coupon" folks are are talking about for a discount? I guess I missed that one. Is there a brand preferrable at HD? Is now the time to stock up??

Thanks for the advice.

jrd1990zr1 said:
Been heating pretty much my entire house so far with pellets, very little oil used. It has been very cold upstate NY and I have gone thru about a ton and one half pellets so far. I have got 2-1/2 tons in the garage and I noticed the pellet price has dropped. Is this a trend or an anomaly? $3.74/bag or 187.00/ton now at the Lowes in Niskayuna, NY. Have not checked HD, but with their price match policy I'll bet they are the same. Lowes carries "Stove Chow" and a brand packaged for them "Clean Energy". Had bought "Somersets" from Lowes earlier in the season they burn very well. Not real pleased with the Stove Chow but how do you pass up at the price. Lowe's brand seems to burn as well as the Somersets, not sure where they are produced.

What is the HD "movers coupon" folks are are talking about for a discount? I guess I missed that one. Is there a brand preferrable at HD? Is now the time to stock up??

Thanks for the advice.

The price going down is a trend that started this past spring. After the big pellet "shortage" of 2 yrs ago, there have efforts by pellet companies and distributors to get more product out, and now there is an excess....therefore the price is going down. Hopefully, it stays down, but who knows.

IMO, this years Stove Chows aren't too bad, and if the price is right, I'd stock-up for future years if possible. Keep an eye out for the Somersets in the future....if you can get them at these prices, they would be a GREAT deal!

I burned some bags of the Clean Energy last year, and they are just an average pellet....maybe a slight bit better than the Stove Chows.

The coupon that has been mentioned is in a "movers packet" you can get from the post office.....it gave 10% off, although I thought it was for Lowes.

I personally have used the Lowes 10% off coupon at HD numerous times without any problems, most if not all HD's will accept them.

Any Ct HD's selling winters warmth anymore?

Pellet-King said:
Any Ct HD's selling winters warmth anymore?

nah, wish they did

Former Farmer said:
Was at Home Depot in Green Bay today. They had Eco-Flame pellets for $177.00/ton or $3.54 per bag. Bag says 100% pine. Made by Confluence Energy in Colorado. Bought 5 bags just to try. Confluence has them on their web site listed as 8300 btu/lb. 0.47% ash and 0.45% fines. Pellets have a definite pine smell to them.

Hey former farmer, what was the out come with the eco-flame pellets? Like or Dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies.