HOME DEPOT NOW HAS PELLETS BAGGED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

investor7952

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2009
Norther NJ
Under there name. They are called winter warmth or winter heat pellets.The bag say Manufactured for home depot Alabama. Premium pellets. Nowhere does it say hard or softwood. Nothing about ash. Nothing on back of bags.They dont say who is bagging them or what brand.Same price as other 4.98 a bag. There was a bag ripped open and I have to tell you these pellets are no more than 1/4 long !!They had 15 tons sitting there .Also had stove chow and fireside ultras for same price. Honestly something needs to be done in the pellet world to grade these pellets a little better or put them into catagories. I wouldnt mind buying crappy pellets if they were half the price. I just bought Lignetics last week at a local TSC for 255 a ton !!What is going to give these better pellet makers the incentive to continue to make a great product when they are selling for the exact same price as the crappy pellets. Just makes no sense at all .Anyway I didnt buy any becuase I have spent enough on experimental bags I already can tell are garbage.Like I said I would buy cheaper pellets that I know arent great for a lower price but why would anyone pay top dollar for crap when for the same money they can get some of the best. Just my year end rant !! LOL HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL !!

The horse pellets are too big---they bridge in the hopper. Maybe if I try Walmart?

BTU said:
investor7952 said:
Under there name. They are called winter warmth or winter heat pellets.The bag say Manufactured for home depot Alabama. Premium pellets. Nowhere does it say hard or softwood. Nothing about ash. Nothing on back of bags.They dont say who is bagging them or what brand.Same price as other 4.98 a bag. There was a bag ripped open and I have to tell you these pellets are no more than 1/4 long !!They had 15 tons sitting there .Also had stove chow and fireside ultras for same price. Honestly something needs to be done in the pellet world to grade these pellets a little better or put them into catagories. I wouldnt mind buying crappy pellets if they were half the price. I just bought Lignetics last week at a local TSC for 255 a ton !!What is going to give these better pellet makers the incentive to continue to make a great product when they are selling for the exact same price as the crappy pellets. Just makes no sense at all .Anyway I didnt buy any becuase I have spent enough on experimental bags I already can tell are garbage.Like I said I would buy cheaper pellets that I know arent great for a lower price but why would anyone pay top dollar for crap when for the same money they can get some of the best. Just my year end rant !! LOL HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL !!

Don't know who is doing this for HD, but if it is a mill in Alabama, most likely it is a southern yellow pine product, which is technically a softwood, but really is more like hardwood. There is a grading panel that the PFI has published, but as most of you know, the specs are wide enough to drive a dump truck thur. Just about ALL pellets will fall under the "premium" category and that means stuff that is very good to the garbage...So having "premium" pellets doesn't tell you anything. From our standpoint, the incentive to making a better pellet is simply having so much repeat business once a dealer establishes a client base for them. Never having to handle them twice, few if any complaints and repeat business year after year. There will always be a place for lesser qualitly product on the market, just as there is with just about anything....so buyers have to be aware of what they are buying. Just reading this forum for any length of time will point you in the right direction most of the time.

Just remember..."If you want good, fresh, clean oats, you have to pay a fair market price, but if you can settle for oats that have already been thur the horse...they come a little cheaper"

Happy New Year to you ALL and keep warm...burn more pellets, we will make more for you..

Hi Folks, I have good news about the Winter Warmth Pellets from HD, they are made by The Hamer Pellet Fuel Co. of Kenova WV. They make Hamer's Hot Ones Wood Pellets that everyone likes. I was reading thru the forum the other day and ran across a post from GEEK and he said the HD people told him that they were made by Hamer, I emailed Hamer yesterday and got a reply back today, and their Rep. stated that yes they are making the Winter Warmth Pellets fro HD this year. I bought 4 bags to try on Monday and they are fantastic! The burn HOT with very little ash, they are the best that I've burned in the last 2 years. I went back today and bought a ton of them from HD in Bangor, Me.
I just thought I'd share my info with everyone if it helps!----Lorne.

Attachments

• wwpell1.jpg
    wwpell1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,929
I'll have to stop by the local HD over the weekend and see if they have any.....I'll take a chance & test burn 2-3 bags. Hamers makes a decent pellet, from what I've read on here.

EDIT: Just thought about it....I guess the fact that Lowes has their own private label brand ("Clean Energy") forced HD to follow suit.

Lorne,

How much per bag and per ton?

Thanks,

Ranger

the old ranger said:
Lorne,

Thanks,

Ranger
Hi, they are $5.38 a bag and $269.00 a ton here in Bangor, probably the same price at your local HD too. It's interesting that at HD stores in other States the same pellets are $4.94 a bag. These are great pellets, the best and hottest that I've burned so far, clean too with little ash. My output temps on my Englander 25PDVC went from an average of 180F to almost 245 with the Winter Warmth pellets, that's a big increase. My only complaint is that the pellets leave a white film on the door window that is hard to get off, I'll take care of it in a few days when I shut it down for a good cleaning.
I don't know how many the Bangor HD has left, they had 4 pallets of them earlier this week sitting outside, now it's down to 1 ton left outside with some more inside I believe. I'd recommend picking up a few bags to try, i think you'll be surprised!----lorne.

BTU said:
investor7952 said:

Don't know who is doing this for HD, but if it is a mill in Alabama, most likely it is a southern yellow pine product, which is technically a softwood, but really is more like hardwood. There is a grading panel that the PFI has published, but as most of you know, the specs are wide enough to drive a dump truck thur. Just about ALL pellets will fall under the "premium" category and that means stuff that is very good to the garbage...So having "premium" pellets doesn't tell you anything. From our standpoint, the incentive to making a better pellet is simply having so much repeat business once a dealer establishes a client base for them. Never having to handle them twice, few if any complaints and repeat business year after year. There will always be a place for lesser qualitly product on the market, just as there is with just about anything....so buyers have to be aware of what they are buying. Just reading this forum for any length of time will point you in the right direction most of the time.

Yellow pins is a HARD wood. I have been installing yellow pine floors for years and it is classified as a hardwood.

Just remember..."If you want good, fresh, clean oats, you have to pay a fair market price, but if you can settle for oats that have already been thur the horse...they come a little cheaper"

Happy New Year to you ALL and keep warm...burn more pellets, we will make more for you..

macman said:
I'll have to stop by the local HD over the weekend and see if they have any.....I'll take a chance & test burn 2-3 bags. Hamers makes a decent pellet, from what I've read on here.

EDIT: Just thought about it....I guess the fact that Lowes has their own private label brand ( Clean Energy") forced HD to follow suit.

Hi Macman,
I think you'll like the HD WW pellets, they are HOT! My stove went from an average of 180 to well over 240+ degrees using them this week.
I'm happy with them! It's so warm in the house that I'm gonna' have to crack a cold beer to cool off! LOL ( Early New Year celebration!).
I also tried some of the new Penningtons from my local Lowes and they were OK and much cleaner and hotter than in previous years.---lorne.

lorne41 said:
Hi, they are $5.38 a bag and $269.00 a ton here in Bangor, probably the same price at your local HD too. It's interesting that at HD stores in other States the same pellets are $4.94 a bag.........

Well, if the price at my local HD is anything more than about $4.90/bag, I'll get 2 bags and that's it......And $269/ton is WAY high for pellets right now, especially from HD.

macman said:
lorne41 said:
Hi, they are $5.38 a bag and $269.00 a ton here in Bangor, probably the same price at your local HD too. It's interesting that at HD stores in other States the same pellets are $4.94 a bag.........

Well, if the price at my local HD is anything more than about $4.90/bag, I'll get 2 bags and that's it......And $269/ton is WAY high for pellets right now, especially from HD.

I don't like paying that much either but in this case it's worth it! We seem to pay a higher price for everything up here in Maine, including heating oil.
It might be reflected in the transportation cost to get everything here. It's still cheaper than oil for me!

macman said:

EDIT: Just thought about it....I guess the fact that Lowes has their own private label brand ("Clean Energy") forced HD to follow suit.

I burned Hammers last year and I can tell you this the pellets were a heck of alot bigger than the winter warmth HD brand. I will now have to try a bag.There is no shortage at my local HD here in Newton NJ. tHE HAMMERS DID HAVE ALOT OF ASH BUILD UP BUT DID ALSO HAVE NICE HEAT. nOT AS GOOD AS THE CLEANFIRES but good .

lorne41 said:
the old ranger said:
Lorne,

Thanks,

Ranger
Hi, they are $5.38 a bag and $269.00 a ton here in Bangor, probably the same price at your local HD too. It's interesting that at HD stores in other States the same pellets are $4.94 a bag. These are great pellets, the best and hottest that I've burned so far, clean too with little ash. My output temps on my Englander 25PDVC went from an average of 180F to almost 245 with the Winter Warmth pellets, that's a big increase. My only complaint is that the pellets leave a white film on the door window that is hard to get off, I'll take care of it in a few days when I shut it down for a good cleaning.
I don't know how many the Bangor HD has left, they had 4 pallets of them earlier this week sitting outside, now it's down to 1 ton left outside with some more inside I believe. I'd recommend picking up a few bags to try, i think you'll be surprised!----lorne.

$4.98 a bag here in NJ

Found this in another thread under winter warmth

“We do private label for different groups depending on our production that is available. We did produce Winter Warmth for Home Depot this year and appreciate your kind words about our pellet fuel.”

Kind regards,

L. Hamer

Hamer Pellet Fuel

Is Hamer hardwood, don't like hardwood.

slls said:

Yes, Why don't you like hardwood?

Personally I don't care what species the wood is. As long as they throw heat I'm good. But them softies are hard to get out of the blood. Very consistant. almost never a bad batch!

Gunna go to Enfield ct Hd and see if they have some.
No winters heat, just some real cheesy looking missisippi pine pellets or something called like that.

jtakeman said:
slls said:

Personally I don't care what species the wood is. As long as they throw heat I'm good. But them softies are hard to get out of the blood. Very consistant. almost never a bad batch!

I bought 20 bags of Spruce Pointe softwood, the pot floor carbon after 24 hrs of no dumping was almost none. The Energex I have left about 1/4 in after 24 hrs, no dumping. I also burned 4 bags of Penningtons, heat exchanger turned dark brown, not light tan.

slls said:
jtakeman said:
slls said:

I bought 20 bags of Spruce Pointe softwood, the pot floor carbon after 24 hrs of no dumping was almost none. The Energex I have left about 1/4 in after 24 hrs, no dumping. I also burned 4 bags of Penningtons, heat exchanger turned dark brown, not light tan.

Your comparing good super premium softwoods to a so so premium hardwood. Try a better super premium hardwood like Cubex, Barefoots, and Hamers. Great heat and low ash. Granted the softwoods will most likely have the least amount of ash. The better Hardwoods do come very close. I am burning Lake Regions right now. a softwood pellet. The heat is good but the ash amount is much higher than the Spruce Pointes and Okangans I have burned. Can't really compare a super premium to a premium pellet. You can easily double the ash amount.

Again I do prefer the softwoods. But the better hardwoods can compete quit well with them. I usually use the cost factor when choosing between them. right now the softwoods are cheaper IMO. But a few years ago the hardwoods had the cost edge. It all depends on what you can afford.

Picked up 6 bags today of winter warmth from HD. I took 2 from each of 3 open skids
If I didnt know any better I would swear hammer bagged all there crap that wasnt good enough to go into there normal bags. There are more particles and small garbage peices in 3 bags I opened.If you run these through a 3/16 in filter screen I think you would lose half the bag. I burned through anout 1/2 a bag and heat not bad at all. Around 235-240. I wouldnt go out of my way to buy these unles I could get them for aLOT LESS THAT 248 A TON. I can get all the lignetics and barefoots I want right now for 255 a ton so no need to save 7 dollars a ton to buy crap when you can buy 100% better quality for pennies on the bag. Again heat not bad but go ahead and do a normal filter and not much left to burn.

investor7952 said:
Picked up 6 bags today of winter warmth from HD. I took 2 from each of 3 open skids
If I didnt know any better I would swear hammer bagged all there crap that wasnt good enough to go into there normal bags. There are more particles and small garbage peices in 3 bags I opened.If you run these through a 3/16 in filter screen I think you would lose half the bag. I burned through anout 1/2 a bag and heat not bad at all.Around 235-240. I wouldnt go out of my way to but these unles I could get them for aLOT LESS THAT 248 A TON. I can get all the lignetics and barefoots I want right now for 255 a ton so no need to save 7 dollars a ton to buy crap when you can buy 100% better quality for pennies on the bag. Again heat not bad but go ahead and do a normal filter and not much left to burn.

Thats not good. Guess I wont go out of my way to get any. I'm sure the local HD will get some sooner or later. And I will only get a few bags to try. Thanks for the info!

All we got here in northern Ct HD is Piney Woods Pellets, i feel like charlie brown at halloween.........."All I got was a rock"

Pellet-King said:
All we got here in northern Ct HD is Piney Woods Pellets, i feel like charlie brown at halloween.........."All I got was a rock"

Same here in New Hampshire and southern maine. All I find at HD is Freedom Fuel, Bayou and Penningtons. Maybe the Great Pumpkin will bring some real soon !!!!

gbreda said:
Pellet-King said:

Same here in New Hampshire and southern maine. All I find at HD is Freedom Fuel, Bayou and Penningtons. Maybe the Great Pumpkin will bring some real soon !!!!

Same here in NW CT. All I can get is Piney Woods and Bayou. We will get them someday.

I stopped into the local HD here today, and didn't see any of the new pellets. Then again, they already have about 50 tons of PresTo Logs in stock, along with Fireside Ultra's (I think).

I'll keep my eyes open for the new ones in the future.

I went to the HD in fishkill and they had several tons of the new pellets, Winter Warmth ( I had called the one in Poughkeepsie and the woman said they had them, but after driving there they did not) I bought 3 bags at $5.98 (or $249 a ton) Have to agree with investor, pellets were small,dark, not alot of true fines but many very small pellets 1/4"and smaller. Burned very well though, full 20-30* hotter at the vent then Penningtons. Running the stove in auto 3 ( of 9 ) all night house was a warm 75* this AM. Can't comment much on the ash as stove is dirty now from week of running , but looks fine to me. I'm on the fence about another ton right now, but after stove cleaning tomorrow and running the other 2 bags through I think I will decide between Marths or Winters Warmth if I get another ton.

Schoondog

Status
Not open for further replies.