Home Depot Pellet flyer (image)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2008
Southeastern MA
I was shopping at the Home Depot in Bellingham, MA today and noticed they had 4 pallets of pellets outside with some special going on, so while checking out I noticed and grabbed the flyer for their 'special'. Part of it says they'll beat anyone elses prices by 10% - but be sure to read the fine print at the bottom. Prices are supposed to be good until the end of September.

I scanned it and posted it online for anyone to check out HERE. Be sure to put your mouse cursor over the image and left-click to zoom in.

Steve

sounds like some real compition in the wood pellet industry!!

wooooohoooo!

Unless they have changed their policy....I inquired at BOTH Lowes AND Home Depot last year about their 10% match and both told me it doesnt apply to pellets. I had some words for them for sure.

Shortstuff said:
I was shopping at the Home Depot in Bellingham, MA today and noticed they had 4 pallets of pellets outside with some special going on, so while checking out I noticed and grabbed the flyer for their 'special'. Part of it says they'll beat anyone elses prices by 10% - but be sure to read the fine print at the bottom. Prices are supposed to be good until the end of September.

I scanned it and posted it online for anyone to check out HERE. Be sure to put your mouse cursor over the image and left-click to zoom in.

Steve

Not always BTU. I bought some Fireside Ultras 2 seasons ago and they were very impressive. very very low ash and very good heat. Bought some Rocky Mountain clear bags from them last season and those were some of the BEST pellets I bought. Some are junk and some are not....just like the dealers.... I bought some NEWP last year(about 20 bags) and they werent even as good as the ones I described. The variations are always like that....

BTU said:
It's too bad that HD doesn't stock a real premium label pellet....this is so common amongst the big boxes...Great prices, but it is usually all lower end quality pellets. This is so common, they go out of their way to get as low as possible a price, but then the pellets are usually junk...now I'm generalizing here, and sometimes you will find a decent brand, but normally that ISN'T the case. They want everyone to believe that all pellets are created equal and it doesn't really matter what brand you buy...but I think that most of us know, that is not true and just like anything else in life, you get what you pay for... The old saying "buyer beware"...holds true for the pellet industry also...

MainePellethead said:
Unless they have changed their policy....I inquired at BOTH Lowes AND Home Depot last year about their 10% match and both told me it doesnt apply to pellets. I had some words for them for sure.

Shortstuff said:

Steve

Lowes did the match and 10% thing for me, TSC had Maine Choice (as well as Lowes) got a couple tons from Lowes @ 224 a ton. Then TSC came out with the coupons, I signed up for a credit card (which I immediately paid off) for another 10% off and bought 4 more tons at TSC for $215 a ton. Glad to know TSC requires testing of the brands they sell, I think the Maine Choice are going to be good, I just hope their not short lived.

I agree, sorry. I did see them there again last year but was all set with what I had. Last year I didnt pre buy all my pellets. Last season I bought the Rocky Mountains at maybe 3/4 through the season. I've had relatively good luck with everything I have bought yearly. This year I have pre bought most of my pellets so far. Have a ton of LG's and a ton of Maines Choice. Going to buy another ton before or by fall. That'll be my winter but if oil drops or stays the same I may burn oil and very little pellets and save my pellets for next year. One thing I do is.... I NEVER buy large amounts at all before trying...usually buy a couple bags or so....then I go in for the buy. But....my Quad does burn the bad ones pretty good....its the clinkers and dirtiness I dont trust in large buys. HD and Lowes are like any dealer as far as I'm concerned...they just buy larger lots. As I mentioned....I bought some NEWP last year and they were junk. And it was from a pretty reputable distributor... thats the prob with the distribution of pellets....when we buy oil we get oil.... we never know what we are getting when we get pellets and thats with all brands.

[/quote]

Again Pellethead...I'm generalizing......Now what is wrong with your statement...2 years ago you bought Fireside Ultras, did you buy them again last year..Probably not, because they didn't carry them ..right?..Then you got Rocky Mtns.. last year, which is a good pellet...but where are they this year??...Don't have them do they...and that is my point...no consistency and it's totally hit and miss what you are gonna get....that can be a problem for most people. Most of us when we find a good pellet, would like to buy it year after year, but when your supplier only goes for price each year, that can be a problem trying to find something that you are happy with...Do you really want to to play pick a pellet on new brands each year, hoping its gonna work that season?..

Lignetics has built a very good reputation for the last 15+ years as being a very good pellet and a lot of dealers have carried them for years and have a faithful following. Customers buy them year after year after year...from the same dealer...you will probably never find that from any of the big boxes simply because they don't carry one brand for more than one or two seasons, if they can find something else for $.10 cents per bag cheaper....regardless of it's quality. At least with TSC they make the pellet companies pass a burn test on the products they sell to make sure they meet their standards, which is why you will usually see some better brands there.[/quote]

You lucked out....i would of went for it too. Last season I called and I asked again when I went in to buy 20 bags of what they had..... and both times they said the 10% didnt apply to pellets...hmm.(was lowes in Biddeford).

BJN644 said:
MainePellethead said:

Shortstuff said:

Steve

Lowes did the match and 10% thing for me, TSC had Maine Choice (as well as Lowes) got a couple tons from Lowes @ 224 a ton. Then TSC came out with the coupons, I signed up for a credit card (which I immediately paid off) for another 10% off and bought 4 more tons at TSC for $215 a ton. Glad to know TSC requires testing of the brands they sell, I think the Maine Choice are going to be good, I just hope their not short lived.

Shortstuff said:

Steve
What Home Depot store can I download the ad from?

Check the flyer and read the last sentence or two of the fine print at the bottom where it says Some items not available at... and it lists a bunch of stores throughout the country.

Steve

Shortstuff said:
Check the flyer and read the last sentence or two of the fine print at the bottom where it says Some items not available at... and it lists a bunch of stores throughout the country.

Steve

Also note that it says "if you find a current lower price on an identical, in-stock item........" I wonder if some store managers are hold you to the pellets having to be the same brand????

macman said:
Shortstuff said:

Steve

Also note that it says "if you find a current lower price on an identical, in-stock item........" I wonder if some store managers are hold you to the pellets having to be the same brand????

At Lowes they have to be the same brand for the price match.

Shortstuff, I work in Milford and was wondering what the brand and price (before discounts) of the pellets were at the Bellingham store. Thanks.

I don't know what the exact brand was because the 4 pallets I saw out front were all very well protected in heavy white plastic, but it could very well be the Fireside Ultra's that are pictured on the flyer, but I can't be sure.

Give them a quick call and ask: 508-966-9200.

Steve

I saw pallets of Fireside Ultras at the HD in Seabrook, nh, a week ago. didn't see anything about a promotion, though. $299/ton, IIRC.

Are these supposed to be "good"?

Not sure if this is just in the north east but if you want 10% off ANYTHING at Lowes or Home Depot, go to your local post office and get a change of address kit. Inside is a coupon for 10% off your entire purchase at Lowes - up to $500 off. Home depot honors their competitors coupons.

I always have 2 or 3 of these coupons kicking around my house. People take these from the post office and sell them on ebay for money

BJN644 said:

Not true! HD in Windham has Energex for $269/ton then -$50 for 2 tons, -$100 for 3 tons, -$150 for 4 tons, and -$200 for 5 tons. I went over to Lowes (RIGHT across the street) and they have Maine's Choice for $269/ton. I asked f they would match HD's sale and they agreed. We even talked about the differences between Energex and Maine's Choice, and how Maine's Choice has had favorable reviews on this site.

Haven't decided yet, but in all likelihood I will probably buy 5 tons which will work out to $242/ton delivered or $1210 total. I was thinking of going with oil this year for 2.189/gallon with built in downward protection for 700 gallons (669 to equally compare to 5 tons of pellets) due to not being able to find quality pellets at a reasonable price, but now that would cost me several hundred more to go with oil.

just went to home depot in bennington,vt and the firesides are 269 a ton,then knock off 40 per ton if buying volume,so if you buy 5 tons thats equal to 229 per ton. if you find someone to beat there prices they will beat it by 10 percent.

sinnian said:
BJN644 said:

Not true! HD in Windham has Energex for $269/ton then -$50 for 2 tons, -$100 for 3 tons, -$150 for 4 tons, and -$200 for 5 tons. I went over to Lowes (RIGHT across the street) and they have Maine's Choice for $269/ton. I asked f they would match HD's sale and they agreed. We even talked about the differences between Energex and Maine's Choice, and how Maine's Choice has had favorable reviews on this site.

Haven't decided yet, but in all likelihood I will probably buy 5 tons which will work out to $242/ton delivered or $1210 total. I was thinking of going with oil this year for 2.189/gallon with built in downward protection for 700 gallons (669 to equally compare to 5 tons of pellets) due to not being able to find quality pellets at a reasonable price, but now that would cost me several hundred more to go with oil.

I went to the Home Depot in Bellingham, MA, today at lunch. They were selling the Fireside Ultras and Pennington's for $269/ton (sale price from $299). As you mentioned, you then start to knock off the $$ as you describe so I purchased 5 tons delivered to my house for $1210 ($242/ton). I requested that they ONLY DELIVER the Fireside Ultras and NOT the Penningtons. I burned Firesides last year and they burned great in my Harman P61A.

$242/ton delivered for decent pellets is not bad here in MA, IMHO.

I dont believe ANY pellet is worth 300 a ton. Whether its from big box or local distributor. They reach 300 and I am done til they are better priced to make it worth my while. I have burned long enough to have experienced top notch PFI stamped pellets to be junk sometimes and have the cheap stuff be just as good....and vice versa. THATS the reason I do not buy bulk without trying...been there done that. I burned about 30 bags of Penningtons last year and didnt have one problem at all. The problem is when you dont keep your stove maintained regularly. The year before last people in here burned Penningtons and had a bad lot. Penneington refunded several people in here for every bit of their purchase and DIDNT even make them return the bad pellets. You think a local distributor would do that? lol.

Every distributor or Stove seller of course is going to prop up their product and sell sell sell. I burned bags of NEWP pellets last year for 5.50 a bag..... they were junk...very dirty and large clinkers and medium heat. Penningtons were hot and low low ash.

From one year to the next you cannot rely on a pellet being the same. Will never happen.

I don't see any problem using pallets to make pellets, anyone who has burned pallets in a wood stove would agree. I do think those are some serious allegations about a company selling a bio-hazardous and chemical contaminated product. I'm sure this would be in violation of several EPA laws, actually I know it would.

I agree with BTU about the "what's in this pellet?" situation. I have seen hunks of rubber, plastic, aluminum and steel in pellets before, all pulled out from the top of a bag and in the first 2-3 handfulls. I've seen otherwise good looking pellets burn green (which I can't recall ever seeing wood do). I've even seen pieces of ABS plastic and Nylon the size of a peanut in pellets before, not even ground up into the pellet. You may be able to burn it, you may even want to if its cheap, but in the end it hurts the industry as a whole. People producing an inferior product, for short term $$, takes potential $$ from the serious operations who want to raise standards and improve their own process. Who wants to buy some 67 Octane gasoline? Car will idle rough and you won't get good milage, but you should still be able to keep the car running, and maybe get where you're going. And it's 4 cents cheaper than regular!!

I am not suggesting that buying at HD,Lowes,Wallyworld, or any other box store will guarantee a lousy pellet, but it does stand to reason that if they will only pay the lowest price to sell at the lowest price, somewhere in the process something has to make up the difference. Raw material, and attention to detail are the likely corners to cut IMHO.

So... if you buy 200 yards of loam for 13.00 yd. but if you want just 2 yds. and the price is 17.00 yd....is the 2 yard purchase crappier? Most likely not. In a sense thats what happens with big box. They can buy/contract to buy very large amounts from various pellet mills across the country and just because it says fireside it doesnt mean its not the same pellet as someones "elite" pellet. All it takes is a different wrapper. I have came across that personally.
I personally have had not a problem at all burning cheap or top dollar pellets. I take apart and clean my own stove annually from top to bottom inside and out... have never had any problem burning any of the cheaper pellets with the stove being any dirtier. I bought the stove to save $$ on heating...and I'm not going to play games with a dealer, big box etc etc over price. If I dont see the price I want at the time....I turn the thermostat simple as that :)

Delta-T said:
I am not suggesting that buying at HD,Lowes,Wallyworld, or any other box store will guarantee a lousy pellet, but it does stand to reason that if they will only pay the lowest price to sell at the lowest price, somewhere in the process something has to make up the difference. Raw material, and attention to detail are the likely corners to cut IMHO.

are you suggesting that of all the pellets you have burned you notice no difference in the quality of the pellets in relationship to the price?

oh...no no delta. Maybe that came out wrong. Hard to portray on here sometimes. I guess more of what I am trying to say in a nutshell is top notch pellets can be just as crappy as cheap ones. All of them I dont have a hard time burning just some are dirtier than the others which is a pain in the butt. But just because they come from big box stores doesnt mean they arent as good as local pellet dealers etc. I've burned some "just as" good pellets and some much better pellets from big box as I have from the pellet dealers. It all boils down to the lots and the mills. The pellet mills have problems from year to year, thats a given...whether its equipment or raw material. Thats what makes burning pellets so risky sometimes for the dollar. But its a risk I dont mind taking at all. One would be nieve to think they would get the same results from year to year off the same brand...you hope to but it may not happen. I have seen many many stories on here experiencing varying results from year to year.

*** I like of going to Lowes or HD is....they nearly send a herd of help out to help me load. The trailer I have I dont like to load a one ton pallet so I break up to even it out in my trailer....and they help every time. From a smaller local dealer I never get that help. Usually they drop the pallet next to my trailer and I am on my own. Only one dealer has helped me load and that was Berniers in Sanford.

Delta-T said:
are you suggesting that of all the pellets you have burned you notice no difference in the quality of the pellets in relationship to the price?

I see, I see. Agreed. I load lots of pellets and would never consider dropping a ton next to a vehicle and watching the customers load them, never. Shame on those dealerships that won't load, or at least help you load.

Status
Not open for further replies.