Home Depot Pellet flyer (image)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never had a problem with Pennington's from Walmart, worst pellets i ever had in 10+ yr's were Stove Chow.

Rochester ,NH HD had that add on a few tons of fireside ultras out front the last time I went, I had a hard time figuring what the final price per ton would be though as there wasn't a price tag on the tons to start with, just the big poster. I had a few guys at work telling me that there were pellets for $210-200 a ton at HD.

Here is my 2 cents for what ever it may be worth as I am a newbie to the pellet world as it it my second season. Last year I was on the naive side that all pellets where created equal and burned 4 tons. One from a local agway, eureka's (great) 3 tons from HD 2 of which where good (name escapes me wish I remembered) 1 ton was the the firesides. I personnally didn't have much success with them, feeling they were very ashy. In my englander stove in 8 hrs it would build up so much that the ash would be pushing towards the door stop and then continue to build up until it choked out the pot. In the breckwell big e which has a deep pot it filled up with ash constantly and then the pellets would roll out of the pot into the ash tray. I tried tinkering with settings etc trying to get a better burn but I never achieved one. Wish I could have gotten a better burn with them for that price; but last year my HD in Somersworth NH sold them for $299 putting them on average with much better quality pellets (and wanted to charge me tax as I live in ME and I had to educate them the heating fuel is non taxable)

As a contractor I have become rather friendly with People at the pro desks in both the Portsmouth and Somersworth HD. I am in there frequently and yes have a contractors account and all. I'm fairly certain, but don't hold me to this, that the pellets are considered a "special order" (excluding them from the 10% discount) item even though they carry them in stock for PART of the season. When I ordered them last year, 2 seperate times I got a special order reciept along with the standard reciept and this is what brings me to this conclusion....

I personnally will be avoiding this great price deal myself after last years cleaning fest morning and night. I would rather spend the change on better pellets. Plus the HD charges what $65 for delivery? This year I found a lumber yard with NO Delivery fees carrying Barefoots which I'm waiting for my first full pallet (1 ton+10 bags) now, $350.
I figure it this way as well when it comes to the whole pellet verses oil to burn. Who would I rather give my money to and support? some one rather local or some one over seas? If burning oil was a lot cheaper than pellets then sure I would go that route but even if it was slighty higher to burn pellets I would choice them due to the fact it uses byproducts from wood mills etc, cleaner for the environment and generally supports more local businesses.

350? Well there u go....delivery fee has been added into the price of the pellets... nutting is free :)

yknot get a trailer? lol

yknotcarpentry said:
I personnally will be avoiding this great price deal myself after last years cleaning fest morning and night. I would rather spend the change on better pellets. Plus the HD charges what $65 for delivery? This year I found a lumber yard with NO Delivery fees carrying Barefoots which I'm waiting for my first full pallet (1 ton+10 bags) now, $350.

BJN644 said:
Lowes did the match and 10% thing for me, TSC had Maine Choice (as well as Lowes) got a couple tons from Lowes @ 224 a ton. Then TSC came out with the coupons, I signed up for a credit card (which I immediately paid off) for another 10% off and bought 4 more tons at TSC for $215 a ton. Glad to know TSC requires testing of the brands they sell, I think the Maine Choice are going to be good, I just hope their not short lived.

Reading the '10%' match reminds me to let you veterans know that many Lowes and HD's give a 5 or 10% veteran's discount on just about anything. It's a local policy and I've gotten anywhere from nothing to 10% depending on the store but it never hurts to ask. I'm using an OLD ID from 1965 but they seldom even ask for it. A small copy of your DD214 would also work. Just ask.

Just my opinion, but I am a true believer, in top quality pellets. The difference in quality for 100-150 bucks it huge. I paid aprox 280 a ton for eagle valley pellets delivered. Having burned all sorts of crap it just makes sense to get a reliable product. They burn hot, clean, require a lot less work, and in the long run I am positive that the stoves will last longer. Most of us in our lives will go out of our way to purchase a reliable product why should our heating fuel be any different! The best stove in the world is only as good as the fuel we put in it. These are just my thoughts.

Theres always a chance in no matter what pellet you buy....top dollar is not always top quality. theres malfunctions in the mills etc that can make a top quality pellet a nightmare. Been there, done that. Delivery price also adds to the cost...its great when you dont have to pay delivery. I'm glad pellets came down a bit....if they had hit 300 for me it would of been oil burner time....

[quote author="MainePellethead" date="1250565149"]Unless they have changed their policy....I inquired at BOTH Lowes AND Home Depot last year about their 10% match and both told me it doesnt apply to pellets. I had some words for them for sure.
What?!

Hmm, I can usually get a 10% lower match on anything in Lowes and Menards.

Ok, it has to be really similar items and it actually takes at least an hour to get it done. It may be because I have been going to both big boxes very recently in the past 3 years. I've spent (IE: I now owe) well over $35,000. And I make a big stink when things go wrong, which is fairly often.

I guess my squeaky wheel gets greased more than I realized.

As a last resort the store mangers will do it. Of course i'm on first name basis w/2 of them. They've got a point in here tho, those pellets looked sad and I don't even know anything about them outside of being broken up and alot of dust seeming bad.

EDIT- I am a contractor on acct w/both. That usually makes a difference. I only deal w/contract sales at the desk. I see this theme was mentioned b4 me, I agree w/you!!

Lazy,

I’ve spent (IE: I now owe) well over $35,000.

I like this and know the feeling, I hope you had the HD rewards card which is now going away, I got myself a free 5500 watt generator using that thing! gotta love the points

@yknot- He!! yea, I got alot of "free" stuff over the years. I also got in on alot of those "same as cash" promos.

Of course when it was time to pay the piper I paid them off w/a 6% equity line I had available. If u don't pay menards on time it goes to 18% and will include the ENTIRE term for all interest.

On topic- Rubber and plastic in ur pellets??! That's no good..at all. That would change my mind drastically.

And fyi, I burned pallets in my wood burner enough to nuke my catalytic-combuster. It was only a year old. Turns out some pallets are treated w/some kinda oil or something. It's applied to them to retard rot and insects I'm told (by the pallet co in the next town) I'll never do it again and I may shy away from pellets made from such things. Heck, who knows what's leaked all over them and impregnated the wood.

Just a point to ponder.

Status
Not open for further replies.