Home Depot with fireside pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadking88

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2011
central Maine
a guy i work with just got 10 tons of pellets from home depot....
they were fireside... he got them for 197 a ton...65 delivery charge...
he also has a year to pay for them i guess....
from doing some investigating, i guess they are just an average pellet...
it shows a 93% ash percentage....wow.... that's high.......
he was saying that 2 brothers owned energex and fireside and split and went on their own i guess.....

roadking88 said:
it shows a 93% ash percentage....wow.... that's high.......

Tell me you don't believe that.... Let me guess, you're the "energex " brother :).

lmao..not
i printed a chart here that j ran test of all the pellets...

You're forgetting an important decimal point in there.

Methinks he forgot the decimal point....it should be .93%. Still pretty high.....the only pellet in Jay's testing that had a higher ash level was the Infernos. :ahhh:

So, is there any testing on new pellets bagged this year?

ya ya ... i meant .93%
the print out i have says 2010/ 2011Viridis energy inc..
i think i got it on this sit???

I also have some fire side. The new stove is being installed tomorrow. I can perform a test burn this weekend perhaps. If I do I'll post.

Last year I burned mostly Green Team and fireside and liked them both. HD only has Stove Chow and I have not heard what they are like this year.

I may get 6 ton of Green Supreme at Lowes with the 10% off coupon and hope to stack a 5% Lowes card usage.

roadking88 said:
ya ya ... i meant .93%

I doubt you got that here! Mr.Warm and the site owner didn't get along! Mr. Warm put my stuff in a PDF and passed it out to the dealers. One has it on their site.

http://woodpellets4me.com/pdf/2011-2012-PelletReview.pdf

dmaclaren said:

So far all I have to review is Platinum Fire, PowerHouse and Geneva. Busy with my day job lately! New stuff will be on woodpelletreviews.com under detailed reviews by jay.

I am holding out on starting this season. As long as the house is in the upper 60's. Stove stays off(until the boss steps in!).

j-takeman said:
I am holding out on starting this season. As long as the house is in the upper 60's. Stove stays off(until the boss steps in!).
:lol:

I had to go to HD for a plumbing project. They had Fireside Ultra's waiting for me at the door. Flipped the bag over and saw Premier pellet product of Canada on the back. Premier is know to be a spinoff of Energex for the box stores. So these are bagged by Energex. Picked up 2 for a review. I'll almost bet they compare to the stove chows and natures own that I burned last season.

I tried acouple of bags of Fireside Ultras and then picked up two tons after seeing the way they burned. NEWP are $280 a ton in central maine and $197 for the Energex/Fireside pellets at HD was a no-brainer. If the y continue to burn the same, I'll pick up two more.

Stevekng said:
I tried acouple of bags of Fireside Ultras and then picked up two tons after seeing the way they burned. NEWP are $280 a ton in central maine and $197 for the Energex/Fireside pellets at HD was a no-brainer. If the y continue to burn the same, I'll pick up two more.

Are you the famous writer ?

Fireside at HD Smithfield RI ... 26 tons in stock $207

Just at HD in Manchester, NH
All they had was Pennington's
Never burned them before and will let you know what I think later.

I do like the Firesides (and so does my stove)!
Wish my HD had them....

Manchester had 37 ton as of noon today
Stated that Hooksett had 45 ton (assumed Pennington's)

Sorry, $197 a ton

j-takeman said:
roadking88 said:
ya ya ... i meant .93%

I doubt you got that here! Mr.Warm and the site owner didn't get along! Mr. Warm put my stuff in a PDF and passed it out to the dealers. One has it on their site.

http://woodpellets4me.com/pdf/2011-2012-PelletReview.pdf

dmaclaren said:

So far all I have to review is Platinum Fire, PowerHouse and Geneva. Busy with my day job lately! New stuff will be on woodpelletreviews.com under detailed reviews by jay.

Mr Warm! LOL

Benster said:
Just pick up at ton of Stove Chow at HD, Auburn, nY at $197.00

Plan on mixing pellet- 25% corn 75% in my Lancaster. Last year, used Barefoots but they are locally $280 per ton.

How much is corn your way?

I just paid $225 for 2100 lbs from my local farmer. Last years corn dried to 8%. Have been watching the commodity market and for some strange reason, the price has been dropping since this spring where it was selling for $250 per ton. I try to take care of the farmer I deal with since I also buy beef from him.

That's great. I wish we had a local farmer that grew corn for fuel. I wonder how many know there is a market out there.

Does he put it through a drying process after harvest?

Yes, the corn is put through a drying process. The market is for dried field corn. Drying is to prevent rot and extends its shelf life. The consumer of the corn is varied from food used as silage for feeding cattle, pigs, etc. For folks wanting to attrach migratory fowl or in rough winters, supplement their feed. And of course as an ethenol source.

Status
Not open for further replies.