Home Depot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pegdot

Nov 16, 2007
Upstate, SC
Could someone give me the location-city, state- or the store number of a Home Depot that sells pellets? Trying to get my local HD to check into ordering some for me but they need this info. to locate a source. Personally, I think it's pretty ridiculous for me to have to tell them which of their stores sells what but....... :roll:

Thanks,
Peggy

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Hopefully, now they can tell me if they can get pellets for me.

Peggy

Before you go and do that you may want to
check your yellow pages for some local farm supply
stores. Up here they all carry pellets and their
prices are usually a little better than the Depot.
Their pellets are usually better quality too.

Zeta, our local TSC carrys pellets and I plan on buying from them but I wanted the security of knowing that I had another source. Last year some idiot at TSC put their entire shipment of pellets outside! :ahhh: Ruined! They couldn't get any more so....I'd like to be on the safe side! lol

Peggy

Just a heads up for you. Home Depot also stores
their pellets outside. At least the ones here in
New England do. The year before last I bought a
ton from them and they took me around the back
of the store where they had approx. 20 tons
stored outside. There were several broken bags
on the ground and wet pellets everywhere.

ROFL! I guess this just goes to prove that there are morons everywhere! I'd assumed that it happened here because the employees just don't know what wood pellets are but %-P .

Peggy

In all reality the number of retailers who store their stock inside is alot smaller than those that store outside. In addition I've heard that the majority of pellet manufacturers store their product outside prior to distribution. I buy Heartland pellets that are stored outside and the only time I've gotten a bad bag, in 4 years, is when the forklift operator stabs a bag with the forks when they're moving/loading them. The pallets are wrapped in celophane and topped with a heavy (3 or 4 mil) plastic cover. Unless that membrane is compromised they do fine in outdoor storage.

Thanks for the heads up, Shane. I had no idea this was standard practice. Wonder what the folks at TSC did wrong...removed the plastic covering perhaps? All I know is that since they are currently one of only two pellet suppliers in the area that the loss of their entire winter supply really put local pellet users in a bind. A store employee told me it was the biggest God awful mess he'd ever seen. 70 tons of bagged mush!

Peggy

pegdot said:
Could someone give me the location-city, state- or the store number of a Home Depot that sells pellets? Trying to get my local HD to check into ordering some for me but they need this info. to locate a source. Personally, I think it's pretty ridiculous for me to have to tell them which of their stores sells what but....... :roll:

Thanks,
Peggy

peggy, there were pellets in the marion Ga. 2 days ago i went in the store to pick somthing up and ended up doing a product knowledge class on the spot (hazard of the job i guess) check these stores, they have ordered stoves from us in the last years time so odds are they will have pellets http://www.englanderstoves.com/Dealers/sc.html hope this helps

I have been storing my pellets out side for 15 years

we have very few bags that get wet.
and if a customer has a wet bag we just give them a replacement bag

90% of the pellet mills have their pellets out side Rain snow or shine

I have received truckloads of pellets with 2" of ice on the top of each pallet and this was in the middle of summer

Just a bit of advice, and yes, I agree that the majority of pellets are stored outside and do just fine. It's the forklift that does the damage moving the pallets around, been there done that. Problem is, most of the spilled pellets go in the trash. The advice is to befriend your local pellet seller yard guy or gal and stop by with a 55 gallon plastic barrel. Tell them to put the spilled ones in the barrel and that you'll give them a few bucks (cash!) for them, they have to clean them up anyway. Tell them you'll take open bags at a discount too. Write your phone number with a sharpie on the barrel, they will fight to call you when the barrel is full. Granted, you'll have to deal with dirty pellets, but most of the dirt settles out in the barrel after a few shakes and what doesn't cleans up nice thru a pellet duster. Obviously this does not work with wet pellets!

GotzTheHotz said:
Just a bit of advice, and yes, I agree that the majority of pellets are stored outside and do just fine. It's the forklift that does the damage moving the pallets around, been there done that. Problem is, most of the spilled pellets go in the trash. The advice is to befriend your local pellet seller yard guy or gal and stop by with a 55 gallon plastic barrel. Tell them to put the spilled ones in the barrel and that you'll give them a few bucks (cash!) for them, they have to clean them up anyway. Tell them you'll take open bags at a discount too. Write your phone number with a sharpie on the barrel, they will fight to call you when the barrel is full. Granted, you'll have to deal with dirty pellets, but most of the dirt settles out in the barrel after a few shakes and what doesn't cleans up nice thru a pellet duster. Obviously this does not work with wet pellets!

Dont ask us.
We use th open bags for the 3 pellet stove burning in the store
We have 3 trash cans out side and when we get bags that are torn so bad they cant be tapped back up we dump them in the can
and then we use them in the store.
The Somewhat wet pellets we give them to an employee that has horses and she uses them in the horse stalls.

hearthtools said:
The Somewhat wet pellets we give them to an employee
that has horses and she uses them in the horse stalls.

Tell her that's not a good idea. My sister works
with horses and they had one that nearly died
from a blockage after ingesting pellets that were
used in the stalls. They have since stopped using
them.

zeta said:
hearthtools said:
The Somewhat wet pellets we give them to an employee
that has horses and she uses them in the horse stalls.

Tell her that's not a good idea. My sister works
with horses and they had one that nearly died
from a blockage after ingesting pellets that were
used in the stalls. They have since stopped using
them.

interesting , i believe that there are pellets made for horse stalls, but then again they may be made from equine digestible materials, off the top of my head only real fear from ingesting wood pellets is if the horse ate way too many the high amount of absorbsion of fluids by the pellets may have dehydrated the animals digestive tract , which i would assume could cause a diverticular issue or blockage that could be dangerous.

stoveguy2esw said:
interesting , i believe that there are pellets made for horse stalls, but then again they may be made from equine digestible materials

I have been told that those pellets burn reasonably well in a stove. I haven't tried them, but keep that bit of information handy in case of a pellet fuel shortage.

I should check out the price at the local feed store.

They do make pellets to bed horse stalls with. I've used them with no problems. Some horse will eat a small amount just to check them out but I've never had it cause a problem. Personally, although they are certainly easier to handle than shavings, I don't like them as well. If I use them I'll mist the stall with a little water to soften them up so that the horses feet can crush them faster.

The danger with horses and any kind of pelleted product is choking. Some horses are just pigs and gobble food at an incredible rate without bothering to chew it. The large amount of whole pellets can expand in the esopagus and cause a blockage. Horses can't vomit so the blockage has a tendency to be drawn into the lungs and exit, if you're lucky, through the nose. If it gets beyond the lungs then it has to pass naturally through the other end unless you surgically remove it. Rod's got it right, large amounts of water & mineral oil, to soften and ease the passage, is key. Fortunately, it's a pretty easy process to pass a tube down a horse's nose and directly into the stomach to inject the fluids, assuming that you catch the choking in time. Unfortunately, despite years of trying, I can't teach my horses to simply pick up the phone and call the vet so..... :long:

The big danger with any wood product around horses is black walnut. Give a horse access to black walnut and you'll have either high vet bills and a lame horse or a dead horse.

I've wondered about burning the bedding pellets as well....

Sorry, TMI! LOL
Peggy

Horse bedding pellets are normaly 100% pine because it kills the bad stuff in Unrine.
sometimes they are smaller diamitor
and not as dry as regular pellets
We sell about 20 tons a year for horse stalls and trailer use.

hearthtools said:
Horse bedding pellets are normaly 100% pine because it kills the bad stuff in Unrine.
sometimes they are smaller diamitor
and not as dry as regular pellets
We sell about 20 tons a year for horse stalls and trailer use.

Have you ever tried burning some? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.