Home Depot's Latest Wood Pellets in Salem NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The Freedom Fuel and Fireside Ultra's are gone.

Now they have MWP (Made in Maine)

Has anyone tried these? Is $4.18 a bag and $209 per ton a good price?

Attachments

• MWPsc.jpg
    MWPsc.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 935
  • MWPpriceSC.jpg
    MWPpriceSC.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,505
Thre are alot of posts on this site saying they are good, big improvement from last year.
AT $209 a ton, sounds worth it. I am actually entertaining buying some in a couple of weeks for
end of season.

After the next bag of Cubex, I'm switching over to MWP.

Saving the remaining Cubex for next year.

I already burned a ton of the current generation of MWP. They ain't Cubex, but they sure did improve a whole lot since the first two lots of them I burned.

I have the MWP Clinker Award with Oak Leaf Clusters for managing to get through three tons of the first batch.

I bought a ton of these this afternoon at my local T.S.C. for 204 a ton. They are from the Linkletter mill in Athens. I hope they burn well. 204 seemed worth the risk. Athens has a bad reputation and I've had many a horror story told to me about their old pellets. (Notice they are vague on the "who" and "where" on the bags) Supposedly, they have the problem rectified. Let's hope. Please let me/us know how they work.

I burned about a half ton of these so far this year in my Harman and am very happy with them. They put out excellent heat and very little ash.

Called my local Lowes and Home Depot and they said they are out and not getting anymore this year. Are they crazy ... this is northern michigan. Spring doesn't really get here till May ....what the heck ..

Hank Hill said:
Called my local Lowes and Home Depot and they said they are out and not getting anymore this year. Are they crazy ... this is northern michigan. Spring doesn't really get here till May ....what the heck ..

What you didn't get the memo?

Because of Gorebull warming winter ends promptly at 5:00 PM January 31 of each year after that point all temperatures are above 70°F . What's that your thermometer says it is -10°F , damn man, don't know its the models that count and they say it is 70°F.

There is some good news though.. my local stove store is getting 20 skids of Marths and the local GillRoys can get my Somersets anytime ...

My local Lowes said that they will be carrying pellets until the end of the
heating season, because.they are now eligible for the fuel
assistance in nh.

Don2222 said:
Hello

The Freedom Fuel and Fireside Ultra's are gone.

Now they have MWP (Made in Maine)

Has anyone tried these? Is $4.18 a bag and $209 per ton a good price?

My HD has them for $197/ton or $3.79 a bag...I'm working on the 10 bags I bought to try and so far...good heat, no clinkers but LOTS of ash!

Swaybar said:
http://www.pressherald.com/news/pellet-production_2011-02-13.html

Pellet production heats up again
Maine’s plants gear up – as do job prospects –as climbing oil prices revive interest in alternative energy.

Oil prices have already started down.

The worry warts and pumpers lost their fear or the fact that the lame duck in Egypt is gone removed the pumpers claim to fame.

That's fine because more of the same (or worse) is still running the show.

Smokey, Oil prices are already going down????? They may have settled down alittle after the egypt crisis but Id hardly say they were dropping,,,, I wish they were...

jack56 said:
Smokey, Oil prices are already going down????? They may have settled down alittle after the egypt crisis but Id hardly say they were dropping,,,, I wish they were...

Like everything what one sees on the futures market will occur in the future in the retail world. If all of the babble heads, fear mongers, and pumpers were gone they'd likely free fall.

This has happened many times in the past and will many times in the future.

People never learn and always panic (I think a rooster jumped the fence a long time ago and imparted a very large amount of chicken DNA).

Right now oil prices haven't effected pellet prices(I'll say "yet" later). There are still big stacks of pellets hanging around. SO the spring buy looks to be OK for now. But come mid summer/fall watch out. The recent sale of Dry Creek should send a flag up for you. Summer fuel prices are projected to again take another rise. So "yet" they will.

Another factor our buddy LEE mentioned was global wood fiber demand. We are not the only ones using our resources to combat the oil glut. China is projected to increase its import of wood fiber by some 400%. And its the same source we are getting our supply from.

I think we are in for a bumpy ride come fall!

j-takeman said:
Right now oil prices haven't effected pellet prices(I'll say "yet" later). There are still big stacks of pellets hanging around. SO the spring buy looks to be OK for now. But come mid summer/fall watch out. The recent sale of Dry Creek should send a flag up for you. Summer fuel prices are projected to again take another rise. So "yet" they will.

Another factor our buddy LEE mentioned was global wood fiber demand. We are not the only ones using our resources to combat the oil glut. China is projected to increase its import of wood fiber by some 400%. And its the same source we are getting our supply from.

I think we are in for a bumpy ride come fall!

I don't know what to think anymore. 2 years ago, when Oil was SKY high, I bought 4 tons of pellets in March. That was enough to finish the season and get me through most of the next season. I paid $229/ton for MWP when most other brands in our area were $250/ton or more. That summer, if you remember, our economy tanked and gas prices were down to $1.75/gal and HHO was around $1.90/gal. Pellet prices dropped a bit but stayed pretty close to where they were. The prices didn't change much, but supply was short to come by-I was glad to have my stash.

Fast forward 2 yrs and again oil is to say the least-volatile. Prices are still around $210-250/ton with the exception of HD, which is at $187 for Freedom Fuel. How long they stay that way who knows. So I am faced with the dilemma of rising prices (not just on fuel) on everything, income that has stayed the same or gone down (depending on hrs worked) and not knowing if prices will hold or go lower. In the last 2 yrs there have been 2 pellet plants that have come on line. One of them most of you have heard of, Vermont Wood Pellet. The other, Telescope Casual Pellets, I would be surprised if even the die hardest pellet heads here have heard off. VT's go for $236.50./ton picked up and Telescopes go for $210.00 picked up.

As of right now, I plan to get 4+ tons as soon as spring prices come out. I have room in my garage. I just don't know that pellet prices are going to go through the roof like in 2008-2009. Back then, supply was as much the issue as oil was. Places around here were putting limits on how many bags or tons a customer could buy...

I guess what the long post means is that who the hell knows where prices are going? LOL!

justinc25 said:
My local Lowes said that they will be carrying pellets until the end of the
heating season, because.they are now eligible for the fuel
assistance in nh.

That is correct, starting this winter, people who need fuel assistance in NH can now get an account at Lowes and the state will put money into that account for wood pellet heat.

Oil
It is going to go up, quite how fast is the only issue and yes there ill be a bit of a roller coaster but it is a world commodity.

Propane
See Oil

Natural Gas
The driving factor seems to be the conversion of coal fired generating plants to gas.

Electricity
Going up because of the switch from Coal to Natural Gas plus an easy target for the Politicians.

Coal
That might be more stable, but I can not get it.

Cord Wood
That seems to have gone down where I am, quiet a few factors including people who did it for their own needs trying to make some side cash. Plus all the Beetle kill.

Pellets
There is a linkage to the others, if I have it right demand was down as people were using other sources as there was not such a price difference? Seems lots of capacity so price increases should be less than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.