Home Grown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danfrmmaine

Sep 10, 2008
ME
Hah, got your attention. Corn that is. How many acres of corn do I need to grow to run a corn boiler? I guess I'm looking for ideas about planting, harvesting and shucking corn for a single household. What type corn? etc. Drying? Storing?
Thanks
Dan in Maine

Average yield per acre last year for corn crops was about 150 bushels/acre. Average weight per bushel is about 56 lbs/bushel (shelled corn). About 36 bushels per ton. It's about 6,800 BTU/lb for corn (vs. 8,200 for pellets) with an average efficiency of 75% (vs. 80% for pellets). So you'll need roughly 20% more corn than pellets - if you burn the average 3 tons of pellets, figure 3 1/2 - 4 tons of corn which is about an acre & quarter. (Hand grenade math here. Approximations only.)

(Source: Penn State School of Agriculture)

Status
Not open for further replies.