HOME GUTTED BY WOODSTOVE FIRE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“The pipe from the wood stove evidently caught the wall on fire and it spread,†said Ben Colbaugh, chief of the WVFD.

Colbaugh said the pipe coming from a wood stove needs to be at least eight to 10 inches from the wall with a metal plate or pan behind it to prevent catching the wall on fire.

Looks like these folks just did their own Mythbusters episode on whether a stove can ignite things nearby. Too bad they didn't film it... Sympathies on their loss.

Thats always a terrible thing to hear about. But to experience it 4 days before X-Mas is a Night-Mare!

Just glad no-one was home.

I hate to profile but what do you suppose that install looked like?

When you look at photos of the home you can tell this family was doing there best to get by and sometimes i believe people really don't understand the importance of clearances of there wood burning stoves. I don't believe people would chance burning down there home. you would be shocked at people that just don't know. something i have thought about if some of these towns and counties would post clearances for wood stoves in the newspaper, local news and maybe get the fire departments to make visits to home that are burning wood and offer a free inspections, maybe it would save some person there home or save there childs life. these things can be prevented but it does start with the home owner.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
When you look at photos of the home you can tell this family was doing there best to get by and sometimes i believe people really don't understand the importance of clearances of there wood burning stoves. I don't believe people would chance burning down there home. you would be shocked at people that just don't know. something i have thought about if some of these towns and counties would post clearances for wood stoves in the newspaper, local news and maybe get the fire departments to make visits to home that are burning wood and offer a free inspections, maybe it would save some person there home or save there childs life. these things can be prevented but it does start with the home owner.

I'm betting that 99% of the people that fall into that category wouldn't let anybody in their home for an inspection. I know I don't like bringing big brother into my home. But at least I thoughly research anything I do before I do it to make sure it's done right, not becasue I'm afraid of a violation, but I above all want to be safe and I only want to do it once.

Exactly. I didn't have a bunch of cash to spend on my install that I did myself. I did however come here and learned tons of info just from the search engine.

After learning what was safe, I bit the bullet and did a correct, to code install.

I and my family sleep a lot better at night knowing is was done right.

Now, more to learn...

"The residents, a young man and woman with two children, had put out the fire in the stove before they left the house. However, some flames were evidently still burning while they were gone."

Hummmm. Put out the fire before they left......some flames were evidently still burning while they were gone?!! Doesn't make sense at all.

Same thing happened just yesterday in my neighborhood. Very sad. It amazes me how many improper installs I see. I too was guilty till I started hanging around here and learning. Thanks to you guys and gals I now have confidence in my install and burning techniques.

had one catch fire the other day, just down the road. Didn't notice it until yesterday. Total loss imho, just reenforces the need for safe installation and monitoring.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.