Home heat transfer system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Studdlygoof

Jan 26, 2014
Elkton MD
Not sure if this the right spot so please move it if necessary. This is my second year burning with a wood furnace. Had my HVAC guy come in and install a seperate ductwork system for the furnace but it only covers the first floor of my two story home. My furnace does a more then excellent job heating my first floor but for the life of me I can't get heat to move upstairs. To make matters worse my thermostat for upstairs is right at the top of the stairs so the little heat I do get up there keeps the electric heat from kicking on. I easily have a 20-25 degree difference between the two floors. I was searching the web when I ran across this site...

https://www.pureventilation.com.au/product-category/heat-transfer-kits/?filter_number-of-rooms=1345

I love this concept and think it would fix my problems, but I'm only finding them overseas. Anyone know of any similar system here in the US? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks from your warm and toasty / cold and frigid member in MD!

Is the upstairs on a different zone? If yes you may want to try and temporarily open the upper floor zone damper manually or put a switch on the that zone so that when it calls for heat it only opens the damper, but doesn't turn on the central furnace.

Is the upstairs on a different zone? If yes you may want to try and temporarily open the upper floor zone damper manually or put a switch on the that zone so that when it calls for heat it only opens the damper, but doesn't turn on the central furnace.
The upstairs in controlled by a whole seperate unit that is located in the attic? I'm not very HVAC wavy so you may need to dumb it up a little for me. Do you mean override the thermostat so it runs regardless?

Ok, that is different. You can either relocate the upstairs thermostat or set it high enough to turn on the upstairs system. Or add ducting from the downstairs supply to upstairs.

Right and that's where the link I sent in my first post comes in. It's a fan that is in the attic. The inlet would take hot air from from downstairs and distribute it to each individual room upstairs. I just can't find anything like it sold in the us

Can you post a sketch of the 1st and 2nd floors? How large a house are we talking about?

Don't have any way to post a sketch. The upstairs has Two bedrooms on one end of the house two on the other end with a hallway connecting them. The only way up is a staircase right in the middle of the hallway. The house is a approx 6000 sq. ft.

6000 sq ft is multiple stove territory. That's a lot to ask from any one heatsource. I don't see this succeeding even with some sort of heat xfer system.

Most folks roll there own.

6000 sq ft is multiple stove territory. That's a lot to ask from any one heatsource. I don't see this succeeding even with some sort of heat xfer system.

He doesn't have a stove, he has a furnace.

I think.

What exactly is the furnace?

A separate stove for upstairs may be warranted. 6000sq ft is the equivalent of 2-3 houses.

Yes, that's big space. I guess it might come down to how adequately it's handling the heating that it is doing now.

Re. the 'transfer' system, I don't think I would set out to do something like what is shown in that link. Pulling heated air into an attic just seems to be too much potential for heat loss, even if it is to be ejected back into the living space elsewhere. Plus, it appears it would need to pull the heat from upstairs anyway (to put it somewhere else up there), and after re-reading the thread it seems no heat is making it up there to start with? Or very little?

I think I would have the ductwork guy back in & try to get a couple of runs extended to each end of the upstairs. Return air might make it back down via the stairs. It might not be that bad a job - bare round ductwork painted flat black doesn't look half bad running up an interior wall corner. 'Modern industrial deco'? But we can't see the layout from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.