home heating oil at $3.83 33% higher than last year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcp

Sep 16, 2011
lower bucks
You would think with the amount of new pellet stoves being purchased along with heat pumps etc that the oil market would be over supplied and prices would collapse.At this price the average home using 840 gallons have to shell out $3,217.00 in bad economic times.Will oil prices collapse against all the alternatives

This is exactly why we bought a pellet stove. We paid 3.80/gallon out of season to get 150 gallons since we heat our hot water with it. There is no way we could afford to heat our house this winter with prices like that. The estimated papers they sent me had us at $3500. No thank you!!! Hoping to keep the oil usage at zero for heating this winter.

You guys still got it pretty cheap down there. Good thing we dont get cold weather and only have lots of good oak to burn.
It iz what it iz. ;-)

pretty sure it's $3.49 here. matching the price of regular. anyone familiar with orwell's 1984?
i definitely had a 1984 moment when i noticed gas had "gone down" to $3.49 and was happy about that.

got our closing date on the house. oct. 3rd.
stove should be in and up and running a few days later. well. perhaps the following saturday.
sib pellet warehouse will do deliveries up there for their same price. but will need to do them on a saturday.
so i'm getting at least my mwp order from them.

i wanted to buy as locally as possible. but the prices in town seem pretty high from what i hear.
and i don't have a truck to take advantage of the good deals on self pick up prices nearby.

$3.39 (cash price) credit or debt card is more, delivered with a 150 gallon or more fill. N/E Ohio area.

Eric

Just got 200 gal delivered @ $3.35/gal. Will be burning a LOT of pellets this winter.

sorry found a coupon in the local paper for .13 off a gal 150 min for one dealer, try this site newenglandoil.com they have prices posted for all of new england

I burn propane and its 2.85 gal have to buy 150 gal min plus we have about 10% tax. We use to burn 100 + gal a month now about 450 gal a yr.
Pellet stove has saved our butt

Wow that is cheap. Fuel oil is just under $4/gal and propane is $4/gal.

Oil is $3.49 here, I used to burn 1100 gallons a year, cut way down with the pellet stove, and like the heat it puts out better. Win/win!!!

If crude prices stay where they are or keep crashing heating oil ain't gonna be too bad this winter. It should hold the downward pressure on pellet prices. Pellet producers using nat gas for drying are gonna be able to compete. NG is a giveaway right now and will continue to be.

heat seeker said:
Oil is $3.49 here, I used to burn 1100 gallons a year, cut way down with the pellet stove, and like the heat it puts out better. Win/win!!!
2nd that!!
925gal before 425gal now and warmer!!
Need to reduce more though....

lessoil said:
heat seeker said:
2nd that!!

now using less than 200 gallons yearly for past two years, and most of that is for hot water. This little "space heater" is heating my whole house and keeping us toasty warm. 74-78F. (split level home with about 2100 sq ft.)

save$ said:
lessoil said:
heat seeker said:
2nd that!!

now using less than 200 gallons yearly for past two years, and most of that is for hot water. This little "space heater" is heating my whole house and keeping us toasty warm. 74-78F. (split level home with about 2100 sq ft.)

Makes you love the pellet stove!

save$ said:
lessoil said:
heat seeker said:
2nd that!!

This is exciting to read! I would love to only use 200 gallons for our hot water needs. And would also love the 74 F over the 67 with oil. Hoping for a cozy winter!!

briggsy13 said:
save$ said:
lessoil said:
heat seeker said:
2nd that!!

This is exciting to read! I would love to only use 200 gallons for our hot water needs. And would also love the 74 F over the 67 with oil. Hoping for a cozy winter!!
Remember this is for Maine winters, and last winter was an old fashion winter. If you want good results, insulate, insulate, insulate. If you have a double entry, use that first to keep your warm air inside. Storm windows even on thermopane windows. Oak installed on stove to limit negative pressure draw. I could go on, but anyone can get good results with good home preparation to limit heat loss.
While tight, our air is never stale. We have two dog that want to go out about every couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.