Home inspection nightmares - will this pass code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Maybe building/plumbing/electrical permits are not such a bad idea.....

inspection-nightmares-06.jpg

inspection-nightmares-17.jpg

inspection-nightmares-05.jpg

For a very funny of real pics taken by home inspectors, check this out:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20217999_last,00.html

holy cow.. now thats bad...lol

i could see a couple friends doing this one..lol

inspection-nightmares-03.jpg

Hey, at least they have shutoffs!!!

bad-venting.jpg

Do you think they have much of a creosote problem in this chimney? Yes, thats a dryer vent piped into the chimney....

Hey nofossil, is that your hot-tub you are heating from your boiler?

hot-tub.jpg

Why even install a junction box if all the junctions are on the outside? What's worse is that this was the handiwork of a licensed contractor, with a permit, and had been signed-off by the local municipal inspector.

wires.jpg

Permit! Don't need no stinkin permit!

Attachments

• box stove 2.JPG
    box stove 2.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,499
  • box stove 1.JPG
    box stove 1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1,556
Isn't the one with the radiator the recommended way to pipe a gravity wood boiler over-heat loop?

MrEd said:
Why even install a junction box if all the junctions are on the outside? What's worse is that this was the handiwork of a licensed contractor, with a permit, and had been signed-off by the local municipal inspector.

wires.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, those are EMT conduit connectors on the J-box. Not suited at all for securing romex. That is a fire waiting to happen.

Us libertarians look at this and have a slightly different reaction:

Bad things like this happen for several reasons -
1) Homeowners who don't know what's safe and what's unsafe
2) Homeowners who know what's safe but don't have the ability or attention span to do it right
3) Homeowners who can't afford to do it right, so make a best effort that falls short
4) Professionals and inspectors who are incompetent
5) Professionals and inspectors who are corrupt

Any government policy aimed at reducing instances of this sort of thing should attempt to do so in a way that provides maximum freedom of choice to the homeowner. As noted, at least one of these was performed by a licensed contractor and passed by an inspector. Rather than requiring permits and more government control, I'd suggest an approach along the following lines:

1) Provide homeowner oriented translation of critical code requirements on a web site so that homeowners have a better chance of understanding the reasons why a particular approach might be a bad idea. Much of the discussion on this forum also helps achieve that goal.

2) Provide 'at cost' no-fault inspection services so that anyone who wants to have their work checked can have an evaluation without worrying about fines and penalties. This has proved to be a much better approach in the OSHA world. My guess is that insurers would be happy to subsidize such a service, or provide discounts to customers who have it done.

I'm pretty leery of the instinctive reaction - "There's a problem - we need more government regulation'. There are some losers out there, both among homeowners and professionals. Given that, I'd rather give knowledge and power to the individual.

Just my $0.02

I agree with you nofossil...the most shocking thing on most of these is not that they were done, but that they passed inspection by govt inspectors.... I'll admit it, I don't always pull permits, but I almost always exceed code.

heaterman said:
MrEd said:

wires.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, those are EMT conduit connectors on the J-box. Not suited at all for securing romex. That is a fire waiting to happen.

Talk about exceeding code ^^^^^

I bet the same guy could fix that by stacking about six of those nifty little extension rings on there.slap a cover on it LOL.

I believe they are those plastic push in romex connectors,they did get something right.

MrEd said:
bad-venting.jpg

Do you think they have much of a creosote problem in this chimney? Yes, thats a dryer vent piped into the chimney....

Nah, the oil burner will keep it dried out. :)

heaterman said:

Nah, the oil burner will keep it dried out. :)[/quote]

This makes a lint fire look like a walk in the park...

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.