Home Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jibe

Nov 9, 2008
NE Oregon
I have a 1928 stick frame house with what appears to be the original siding with vinyl siding over that.

As far as I can tell there isn't any insulation in the walls of the house. The vinyl siding needs to be repaired or replaced and I'm toying with ripping everything off down to the studs and upgrading any electrical I might need to and then adding insulation, sheathing, house wrap and then putting on new siding.

It's not a very big house and the layout is pretty simple so I can do all of the work myself.

Is this worth pursing or is it better to just blow some insulation in the walls and call it a day?

Great idea. Depending on your temperature zone and the thickness of your walls, you may want to consider adding furring strips to "thicken" the walls for added insulation or adding some foam sheet insulation over the outside for added insulation if furring the walls would be too inconveniant.

Are you talking about adding foam board on top of stuffing the walls with fiberglass batts? If iIm doing this, I'm ripping off the original siding, which is structural, so it has to be replaced with some sort of sheathing. So I would stick the foam board in stud bays after the fiberglass goes in?

I'm working on the basement but unfortunately someone started finishing it and I suspect they didn't bother putting any insulation in. Attic is insulated.

This http://www.ocs.orst.edu/county_climate/Union_files/Union.html#table7 says that I have 4622 heating days.

I looked back and it's not a good site. Someone here has got to have a better link to a site for wall r-values in your area. Or you can look for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.