Home made chimney cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
Hi guys and gals. My stove is so close to being installed I can feel the heat. I'm just waiting on a chimney cap that's it. Man I am so tempted to crawl up on the roof tear off the plastic on the chimney and let the stove rip. I'm trying very hard to let my patience hold out, but with a back ordered part and next scheduled ship date being the 24th of this month it will be a huge test. Any suggestions for a temperary fix. I'm all ears. Thanks.

Burn it without until the cap comes

Or just get a "shanty cap" at the hardware store for six or seven bucks and put it on temporarily with a hose clamp.

Depends in part on where you live and what the local restrictions are. Where I live, they don't care whether or not I make the chimney cap myself...but it damned sure has to have a spark arrestor screen installed in it. Perhaps where you live, nobody cares. Cap keeps rain/snow out of the chimney, screen keeps dangerously sized embers in and all sorts of mischievious critters out. Rick

Thanks for the replies. I think I can make something out of some type of screen to deflect sparks. I'm not sure what to use to keep the rain and snow out. I guess I'll go to the hardware store and try to find something I can rig up for now. Looking back I wish I would have tried getting these parts and install done in the summer time if that makes any sense as parts seem to be so scarce. Winter is almost here and everytime I hear the furnace kick on I get ticked knowing that the stove is just a cap and a match away from cheaper than LP heat. Thanks again.

My chimney has never had a cap in 58 years and it is in great shape. I just installed a 6" liner and cap, but the cap does not have a screen.

Pinewoodburner, is your chimney class a or brick. My chimney is straight up from my stove so water may get in the stove. I found those shanty caps on line. Brother Bart do you know of any type of hardware store carrying these?

spadafore said:
Pinewoodburner, is your chimney class a or brick. My chimney is straight up from my stove so water may get in the stove. I found those shanty caps on line. Brother Bart do you know of any type of hardware store carrying these?

ACE carries them. So does every general hardware store I have ever visited.

spadafore said:
My Chimney has 3 flues, 2 for fireplaces and one for oil, brick with Tera cotta liner, 12" x 12". I just removed my old stove, unknown EPA stove from Lowes bought in 1990, and have just finished installing my Fireview. I lined the chimney and did the insulation, and the stove sits out in the room and is vented back to the liner by double wall pipe. The liner does have a rain cap, it just seems that The Chimney Liner Depot did not include the screen on the cap. Rain should not be able to get in the liner, and I have not had any problem with animals getting into the chimney. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.