1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Home made log cart.

Post in 'The Gear' started by Pallet Pete, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I thought I would show you guys my firewood cart I made a few years ago so others can do this or give me ideas on how to make it better. It is a firewood cart made from a couple of treated 2*4's and a 20 dollar TSC dolly. Believe it or not it isn't made of pallets :lol:

Merry Christmas
    Pete

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    Looks like a nice tool to move wood around... Once you get snow, slap some ski's on that!
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Haha ya I use it to go up steps into my mudroom in the winter maybe I can attach a winch to it and skies then pull it up the steps this year :lol:
    That would be so much easier.
    Merry Christmas
    Pete
  4. sgt7546

sgt7546 Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use a very similar set up, except I built a box about that size that I use a strap to hold onto the dolly. I did this so that I can still use the dolly to move large rounds in the yard.
  5. libertyridge

libertyridge New Member

Loc:
    maryland eastern shore
    I was given one of those as a gift, but wheels too small and tipsy when loaded- so it serves to hold kindlin.
  6. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Pretty cool idea. Good thinking :)
    "not made from pallets";
    but could be. :)
  7. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    looks good. nice idea
  8. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    What no pallet wood? Looks great and clever idea! The International Pallet Recycling Council (IPRC) has been notified about your violation(s) and a law suit has been filed..

Ray
  9. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

Heck, I'm nominating you for a Red-Green award: if the women don't find you handsome, at least they find you handy. My only suggestion (since you asked) would be to make the angled pieces at the top swivel for ease of loading. If you put a cross-piece between them, you could just grab that and open it in one move.

This is cuter than a speckled puppy-dog in a red wagon under a Christmas tree, and you ought to put it in your sig line, don'tcha think?

I use a cargo sled (summer and winter) for hauling wood around. I pull it right into the sun-room and unload it on the rack. However, it is not nearly as cool as this.
  10. Cazimere

Cazimere Member

Loc:
    Delmarva
    [quote author="Pete1983" date="1324707838"]I thought I would show you guys my firewood cart I made a few years ago so others can do this or give me ideas on how to make it better. It is a firewood cart made from a couple of treated 2*4's and a 20 dollar TSC dolly. Believe it or not it isn't made of pallets)

Nice job Pete. I made one from a dolly too. I put a longer bottom plate on and covered the back too keep dirt from falling on the floor when i wheel it into the house. It has a leg on the back that only swivels far enough to support it while loading & unloading.

Attached Files:

11. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Nice job Caz!

Ray
  12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Very nice caz looks good I might copy it.

Merry Christmas
    Pete
  13. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I've been contemplating using a dolly to bring wood in the house, but the wife would freak if I tracked my outdoor P-handle dolly across her floors. I thought of making a rack that I could move with the outdoor dolly up onto my covered front stoop and then use a second indoor dolly to take it the rest of the way. What I had in mind for the indoor dolly is one of those fold away deals with the no-scuff tires.

http://images.ecommetrix.com/commerce/55/montage_22345.jpg
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

I saw him hauling a load of kindling. Does that count for anything?
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  15. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Got a picture?

I'm working on something similar - but it's 'not-ready-for-prime-time' yet. :)
  16. sgt7546

sgt7546 Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I will snap a couple when i wake.
  17. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

How did you anchor the sheet metal caz?

Thanks
    Pete
  18. Cazimere

Cazimere Member

Loc:
    Delmarva
    I used pop rivets on the bottom plate & self drilling pan head screws on the larger back plate.