home-made vacuum breaker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I have an extra brass check valve laying around and I just put in a sand point well. I thought maybe I could fashion a vacuum breaker by drilling and tapping both sides to accept an air valve. The hardware store has those little schrader style valves that you see on your car tires but with 1/4" npt male thread.

With one of these one either side of the check valve I think this would allow air in should the water try back flowing, thus breaking the vacuum. This would be on the discharge side of the shallow well jet pump. Under normal circumstances the pipe between the check valve and the pump should be at system pressure, and the pipe after the check valve would lose pressure whenever the systemshut down. This is a lawn sprinkler system.

Am I missing something? Any reason this would not work?

The theory seems good, but the spring on the schrader valve might not release before backflow occured. It's a fairly strong spring, with little surface area of the valve to operate it.

Why not buy a backflow preventer? Pretty sure the code requires one where ever you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.