Home Owners Insurance giving me grief

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
Like a dummy I emailed my insurance broker to let him know I installed a pellet stove. Big mistake! He sends me a questionnaire to fill out that says "Solid Fuel Burn Device". All the questions pertained to wood stoves and he keeps referring to it as a wood stove. I tried to explain to him it is not a wood stove but he doesn't understand and has never heard of the things.

I filled it out the best I could and made it clear is was a pellet stove. They also requested pictures.

Agent then told me my premiums would go up $13/year. Ok.. whatever...

Now I just got a email and says I need to hire a professional to "check it out" and make sure it was installed properly.

I'm not doing that... Any ideas?

GrahamInVa said:
Like a dummy I emailed my insurance broker to let him know I installed a pellet stove. Big mistake! He sends me a questionnaire to fill out that says "Solid Fuel Burn Device". All the questions pertained to wood stoves and he keeps referring to it as a wood stove. I tried to explain to him it is not a wood stove but he doesn't understand and has never heard of the things.

I filled it out the best I could and made it clear is was a pellet stove. They also requested pictures.

Agent then told me my premiums would go up $13/year. Ok.. whatever...

Now I just got a email and says I need to hire a professional to "check it out" and make sure it was installed properly.

I'm not doing that... Any ideas?

I think you were smart to email him, this way you are covered in case anything ever happens. Let's hope you never need the insurance, of course. I have Liberty Mutual and back in February after my stove was installed I sent my insurance guy at Liberty Mutual one piece of paper. That paper came from my code enforcement guy. Before the install I got a permit from code enforcement. After my installation was complete I called the code enforcement guy and he stopped in, looked things over, "signed off" on the installation and gave me the paper. I made a copy and sent one off to the insurance man and kept one for my records. While I thought it ridiculous to have to get a permit, then have him come and sign off on the installation, I am glad I did, just to have everything covered.

Personally, I don't see why you need the questionnaire or to hire a professional to "check it out." Or even pictures for that matter. Just give your code enforcement a call and hopefully they can sign off on it without any charge, etc. Good Luck!

I called my insurance company a few days before I had my pellet stove installed (by a professional as I didn't want to do it myself) and they said that the next time they do an inspection they would check it out.

I'd say that your CEO or maybe even the fire department would be considered a professional.

Send them a copy of the manual and tell them it is a self install. Unless there is some law that requires you to hire someone to install it I would suggest they are not entitle to make that kind of requirement. You could also tell your agent to find you an insurance company that does not require an independent inspection. Most likely though you were required by the town to pull a permit and have an inspection. If so, a copy of that is all they should need. Just my 2 cents.

mepellet-

we are new to maine. and moving to millinocket. lol is that upper central maine or lower northern maine?

oh. and i am actually curious who you had do the install.
i'm most likely buying our stove from mcvety's in bangor. and they have one guy who covers our area.
the price totally checks out with the things i've seen here. about $1,000 parts and labor. with a four foot rise.

we will be reporting our stove for our insurance too.
i'll definitely be asking for some documentation from our installer.

St_Earl said:
mepellet-

we are new to maine. and moving to millinocket. lol is that upper central maine or lower northern maine?

oh. and i am actually curious who you had do the install.
i'm most likely buying our stove from mcvety's in bangor. and they have one guy who covers our area.
the price totally checks out with the things i've seen here. about $1,000 parts and labor. with a four foot rise.

we will be reporting our stove for our insurance too.
i'll definitely be asking for some documentation from our installer.

they call Millinocket north central Maine...

The local FD doesn't do inspections and my county building inspector wants $100 to do it.

So, I called another insurance carrier and was quoted $100/year cheaper than I am currently paying! So I called my agent back and told him this info. He said he would call an ask for an exception.

Well see..

I don't sell or install stoves but I have a Virginia business license. What do you want the letter to say? :lol:

All they want is aprofessional. Bring a hooker in for a nooner, have her give you a note for your insurance guy, all set.

If you were in the military or your parents were, switch to USAA and tell the broker and your insurance company to go scratch.

Better to find out now before you have a claim. Same thing happened to me recently when I switched for a lower price. Underwriter was a idiot and all was set when I gave them the clearances and the name of the company who installed it. They thought it was the same as a wood stove. Not even close.

BrotherBart said:
I don't sell or install stoves but I have a Virginia business license. What do you want the letter to say? :lol:

I BrotherBart certify GrahamInVA installed his pellet stove in accordance with locals codes and followed all manufacture guidelines. If his house burns down I take full responsibility.

haha...lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.