Home Warranty Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griff8907

Nov 21, 2009
NE Indiana
When i purchased my house in october it came with a home warranty. Also had a greenwood 100 which was installed by the previous owner. it is a pressurized system. i have been having many problems with my burner so i had to shut it down so i could have a pro come and check my system out. well the pro was here on friday and he discovered the the system was not set up right and needed changed. which i figured would happen. im wondering if anyone would know if my warranty would help cover some or maybe even all of the cost the fix. i hope so. that way all this isnt all out of my pocket. thanks for all the help

My gut feeling is that a home warranty would only cover broke, not hooked up wrong. Hopefully the good news will be that it's already installed and fixing hopefully will not require allot of new piping. Good luck.

It shouldnt be a lot of piping for what in the house he undersized the pipe in my basement and it should only be 15 ft per supply and return but while their fixing it i already have a plate exchanger so there going to go ahead and hook up my water heater to the wood burner. Which we also discovered that the new water heater that the old owner installed before i moved in was only set up for 110v when the unit is for 220v.

I'd call the company with the warranty as the worst thing their going to tell you is no.

I would think your warranty covers the appliances you have saying that they function properly, that every function it has works, and the units perform to manufactures specifications. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. You paid good money for those machines because you were told they were good.

Therefore:
You can have your expert demonstrate that the system could not possibly work properly or if it worked but not able to produce the amount of heat it was designed to do then it is still need fixing and should be covered.

In my opinion the same thing holds for the wiring the hot water heater. Wiring the hot water heater to 110V will makes it not operate as specified by the manufacture, it should be fixed under warranty.

In my experience third-party home warranties are complete bunk, regardless of what you want fixed. Call them. If your provider is like most "home warranty companies" it will cost you $80 or so to get them to come visit you, paid up front.

AHS is one of the bigger home warranty companies in the US. There is currently a large class-action lawsuit against them. I called them 6 months after I bought my home with their "warranty" and they wanted $80 to come look at a leaking hot water heater, non-refundable.

Status
Not open for further replies.