Homebrewing with a wood-fired boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emesine

Apr 24, 2009
Indiana
A few months ago I posted an idea for making beer with a wood fired boiler. I did my first batch two weeks ago, and it worked BEAUTIFULLY. I got my boiler (wood gun) up to about 205F. I ran water through the domestic hot water coil; by the time it got to my basement the water was around 175F, which is the perfect temperature for mixing with grain to make a 155F mash. I then used the same temp water to rinse the grains. We were able to make 20 gallons of beer in a little under 4 hours, which is 2 hour faster than what it normally takes me.

The thermostatic mixing valve was a total flop, however. It was unable to handle the system (don't know exactly why.) I replaced it with a very cost-effective copper T pipe with two valves to control how much hot water to mix with cold to get the right temp. Works great and costs a lot less.

The other benefit here is that I could scale up to practically any volume of beer with minimal outlay of money for hardware. Having an ubiquitous supply of hot water, I am only limited by the size of my brew-kettle.

Andrew

I keep looking at our copper coil heat exchangers and think "moonshine still".

There was a program on Discovery Channel about hillibillies and moonshine recently.
Their condensers were a lot more primitive than ours and they were cranking out some nice 'shine.

Maybe then I can justify a really fast car!
Tom

I like that idea. A "greenshine" heat recovery still. Combined heat and hooch in one unit.

Now I'll have to add the distillation function to my dream of a direct contact water heater, do creosote and peat taste similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.