Homelite 5 Ton Electric Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nlittle

Sep 8, 2009
Southern NH
Just got one at Home Depot! Was looking for Ryobi but I guess they are the same maker and same price, so here it goes. I Will un-box it and use it this weekend. Can't wait to split, I was all set after an hour on the maul.
(Just starting as a wood burner after having a wood stove growing up)

More to follow!

nlittle said:
Just got one at Home Depot! Was looking for Ryobi but I guess they are the same maker and same price, so here it goes. I Will un-box it and use it this weekend. Can't wait to split, I was all set after an hour on the maul.

More to follow!

Give her hell! Congrads on the new splitter.

Zap

nlittle said:

More to follow!

Make sure you loosen the bleeder screw before you use it and make sure you have the right extension cord 12awg no longer than 50'. These little splitters can handle quite a bit but struggle with knotty nasty stuff.

nlittle said:

More to follow!

I'm real interested in the outcome of this. I have about 8 trees I'm taking down soon. Oak, Maple and Black Birch. I was going to rent one, but for this price, I could buy one. I usually only do a few trees here and there, but this year I am clearing an area to season wood.

I've read lots of good reviews on the Ryobi. I'm interested in hearing how this works. Was it about the same price as the Ryobi splitter? YouTube has some good videos of electric splitters in action.

The online reviews at Home Depot suggest that it does well with dry seasoned rounds but has some problem with fresh cut hard wood. I split as soon as possible so I would need something to can get through wet wood.

stejus said:
The online reviews at Home Depot suggest that it does well with dry seasoned rounds but has some problem with fresh cut hard wood. I split as soon as possible so I would need something to can get through wet wood.
I've split easily 10 cords of wood with it over the last 1.5 years having it. I've split some 20" Oak rounds with it the trick is to work with the grain. If you have a piece with a branch nub... try to bisect the nub. This little splitter works great for kindling also. I like to put the splitter up on my trailer when splitting... it makes it the perfect height so I don't have to be kneeling down trying to split wood.

Well, I couldn't wait for the weekend, so I brought it out last night. It is already worth the $300! I split about 2x as much as I could do with a maul in the same time! LOVE IT.
The biggest piece I did was probably about 14"+ so far. Seems like if you have a crack in it already it is best to try to follow that. I did some dry and some pretty wet and it seemed equally as good but some of the wet larger pieces had to be pulled apart because of "ribbons" in the middle holding them together. I am not great at identifying wood so can't really give an opinion by species.
I agree it is a bit low, but I am a chic at about 130lbs so once we got it off the tailgate it will stay on the ground! Although I wish I could lift it back up there..... I think with a good work area and a stool I will be set. Either that or another person so it can be run and fed at the same time. I plan to tackle the rest of my pile this weekend so we will see how it holds up.
So far, 5 stars!

OK, so definitely make sure it's level. If it is not, it kind of has a jerky movement instead of smooth and shot a piece out fast!
Split a little more while building a small wood holder out of some left over 2x4s. Will end up being about 8x3.5x16. Last minute project now that I have all this split wood! It is all from our ice storm last year, didn't realize how much there was!

Ok, now you're teasing us with all the work ahead of you. Take some pic's to share the experience.

stejus said:
Ok, now you're teasing us with all the work ahead of you. Take some pic's to share the experience.

I agree....there aren't many pics of "chics" splitting wood here...you might be the first :)

LOL, Ok
Tomorrow I will be sure to take some pics of the wood holder I just finished and the chics splitting wood... :)

I have a similar task force 5 ton and got a great tip from someone on here to get a can of cheapo generic pam spray vegie oil. If you get a stubborn piece that wont split,
spray some on the wedge and try it again. It will be like adding another ton or two of force. It helped me split some pieces that wouldn't have budged other wise. Just go slow and look for the weakest area and go at the splits like a surgeon and I found only a handful of really knotty rounds that wouldn't crack with the little electric. I really liked the fact that it was so quiet,no fumes and when you stop splitting to get another piece it is off. I always feel like I need to really hump it with the gas splitter cause the engine is always running and burning gas even when getting another piece and is so loud I have to wear hearing protection.. I also like the fact that you can use the electric inside on a rainy or snowy day. I still use mine next to the furnace in the basement to resplit big pieces and to make kindling.

OK, here are the pics (proof).
I ended up getting more lumber and built 3 racks for outside and one for inside. Still need to get outside and fill one of them them but you get the idea. I think a woodshed project is definitely in my future!
top left is the pile at the start, top right is my partner splitting
Mid left is the mother in law doing some, mid right is me
bottom left is what I came home to after a trip for lumber (NICE), bottom right is what I still have to stack.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 479
  • v.jpg
    v.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 503
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 508
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 486
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 499
  • finish.jpg
    finish.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 469
OH yea, loved the splitter all day long but will try the Pam trick

Looks like you had a fun day with your new toy. What kind of wood were you splitting? Was it just cut or cut a while back and just sitting in log lengths? Any performance issues to report?

I think you know this is next years wood supply at best. Do you have any seasoned wood for that upcoming HI300?

stejus said:
Looks like you had a fun day with your new toy. What kind of wood were you splitting? Was it just cut or cut a while back and just sitting in log lengths? Any performance issues to report?

I think you know this is next years wood supply at best. Do you have any seasoned wood for that upcoming HI300?

Yup, it was a good day! I literally just finished splitting and filling the 3rd rack I built.
I am not 100% sure about the wood as I am not great at recognizing them unless they have leaves and then I am still not good. However, I am pretty sure it was mostly birch (easily recognized), maple and aspen or poplar(?). All soft wood, so I know it will not be great, but as I have learned here it is perfect for the shoulder season! This was all stuff from the ice storm that I cut up in the spring and just now split. Some of it is already dry, or very close, from being at the top of the pile and getting sun/ wind all the time. The stuff at the bottom is still very wet.
I will be getting a moisture meter and bringing in about a 1/3 rack at a time to dry out more in the garage. I know not to burn anything more than 20% (from here). I have been paying attention! I made note of where I stacked what. But whatever stays wet hangs out until next year for sure.

For this year I am getting a pallet of bricks to mix in with the dry wood I do have. I know it will be a winter of learning so I don't expect to try to really heat the house with the insert. It will probably be used for evening cozy-ness and power outages for now.

Next year I really want to do a proper wood shed right where the stacks are and get a nice couple of hardwood cords brought in. I can hardly wait for that adventure!

Oh, regarding performance issues - Not really.
Just make sure it's level and split away!

That's a cool splitter. I'm considering possibly getting something like that eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.