Homelite VS Husqvarna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I thought in the beggining the Homelite 42cc 18" would be good enough. Well I know now that it isn't. After 2 weeks cutting the oiler clogged up caught it without any chain damage. But what a crap design. I decided to look at good saws so I went to my local jonsered dealer who schooled me sold me a new chain cleaned up old saw and educated me alot. I was going to buy a saw from him but Tractor supply had a Husqvarna 340 for 199.00.That was returned looked like someone cut down 1 tree and returned it. Wow what a difference I sharpen clean and reverse bar after every session and what a saw. The new ones at the store (Tool Free) looked much cheaper that the 340. I feel sort of bad by not buying a Jonsered from the guy but I did pay him 52.00 for the work he did. I found out I have a Husqy dealer 1 mile away so I will go to hime for parts ect.. IMHO most big box stores do a big disservice selling sub par saws that most folks don't even know how to use. I'm retired military so I believe in maintenance. I also believe in safety have chaps, helmet, Glove and steel toe boots. THis Forum has been a great help and thanks to all I now have a couple of saws to use to clear my 2 acres of woods and am cutting out all the standing deadwood that burns well. BTW First year burner and saw user and doing great with my Quad 4300.

ddown

I think the real dis service is the CEO's of these American companies (homelite, poulan and mcculuuuuug) that allow their products to be such crap. Don't they ever look at their competition and think wow that is a lot better than what we make maybe we should be building more like that? Obviously the American labor is viable or Stihl wouldn't be producing their products in the U.S. and the market is there because people want to buy quality and are willing to pay a little more for it so why aren't we making quality tools?

You done good buyin' a Husky. Now sell or throw that Homodelite in the trash. And don't even think of buyin' a pull on (and pull on and pull on and pull on) or mcclug. Take care or her and she will last forever.

the upfront cost of these saws are just too appealing when compared to a husky stihl jonsered etc. for instance you can get a poulan "pro" for as much as 300 dollars less than one of the professional saws. and i really want them to work as well as the others but i know ill be disappointed and looking for another saw in 2-3 years. you have to look at the long term cost. i agree with clarkharms. these ceo's think that all the consumer looks at is price and not quality, so they outsource the jobs to countries that produce crap. we should build them here, and increase quality substantially. a $180 saw isnt going to jump to $600. but maybe $300 or so. i would buy a quality poulan pro for $300.

I'm just kind of stunned that after the Jonsenered guy educated you, and treated you well.... You still decided to buy from a big box store?

sl7vk said:
I'm just kind of stunned that after the Jonsenered guy educated you, and treated you well.... You still decided to buy from a big box store?

I really intended to buy there but the equivalent Jonsered was 349.00 and I got the Husky for 199.00 which is the same saw pretty much. I will always buy local and both are in my town. In some ways I don't consider tractor Supply a big box store. 150.00 is a lot of chains, gas, Chaps, helment and other stuff I needed. Plus I have an authorized Husqy dealer 1/2 mile away that will get my bussiness. Besides I paid the Jonsered dealer 55.00 for education and bought a chain and paid 30.00 for Shop time as he educated me. Good guy but times are tough

ddown

I like the guys at tsc also ,and i also like the hushy over the jonsered! dont fill back over that choice!

ddown said:
sl7vk said:

I really intended to buy there but the equivalent Jonsered was 349.00 and I got the Husky for 199.00 which is the same saw pretty much. I will always buy local and both are in my town. In some ways I don't consider tractor Supply a big box store. 150.00 is a lot of chains, gas, Chaps, helment and other stuff I needed. Plus I have an authorized Husqy dealer 1/2 mile away that will get my bussiness. Besides I paid the Jonsered dealer 55.00 for education and bought a chain and paid 30.00 for Shop time as he educated me. Good guy but times are tough

ddown

Fair enough... I can understand that.

TSC is just as boxy as Walmart they just package it differently.
My local Jonsered dealer is doing the tag and bag again. Its worth getting in good with them cause sometimes really good saws come in for it, and you can usually buy them for the 150 trade in.

Dill said:
TSC is just as boxy as Walmart they just package it differently.
My local Jonsered dealer is doing the tag and bag again. Its worth getting in good with them cause sometimes really good saws come in for it, and you can usually buy them for the 150 trade in.

I checked on that local dealer doesn't participate That was my issue if I could have gotten the 150 trade I would have gotten the Jonsered but no such luck.

Ya its a hit and miss thing now. It used to be something you count on.
I'm not shooting you down for buying at TSC, I understand your reasoning. We just got 3 of them here, and I'm really not impressed.

For the decent size jobs and if you like to cut alot, I think ya definitely need one of the bigger end saws, Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar......but as far as the comments about the junk being put out, I don't doubt it, but I still have my Poulan/Craftsman 18" $140 saw from sears that I started with 7 yrs ago, and it just keeps going......great little spare saw when I pinch the Stihl...........

WoodButcher: Right answer, wrong thread. I think you want the "Best saw for $450..at most" thread.

clarkharms said:
WoodButcher: Right answer, wrong thread. I think you want the "Best saw for $450..at most" thread.
Oh yeah I was reading "that thread before lunch"

WB

I agree with a lot in this thread being someone who is in the saw retail/repair industry. It's pretty sad people sell such garbage. It's one of the major changes i'm trying to implement where I'm working now; get rid of the Poulan "Pro" garbage and get some good stuff in.

Status
Not open for further replies.