Homemade boiler,fire chamber panels cracking??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie88

May 13, 2011
maine
I built this up-draft gasser. boiler and all in all it works great, But, the panels i have to seperate the chambers only last about 4-6months? I tried cordierite 3/4thick and corelite 1inch thick, both cracked?? I been told from the color on them it runs 1700* to 2000* they are 12x16inch and 14x16inch in size. I am thinking of just putting steel or stainless but this would melt or break down,right?
I read about Silcon carbide but cost alot and did not seen to have good specs? Any ideas of what to use?
The piece you see red is part of chamber[choker] The flame is almost clear it so hot, I think it just gets to hot in there,i get a bluesh purple type flame or clear most of time,i tried to adj. air and cooled fire off but?

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 246
  • SAM_0829.JPG
    SAM_0829.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 229
I've had much the same problem with materials in the secondary chamber. It's a remarkably hostile environment - high temperatures, extraordinary temperature gradients, nasty chemistry, rapid temperature changes. I've turned a lot of expensive materials into gravel.

The only thing I've found that holds up for any length of time is 3000 degree rated high density / high alumina firebrick. I buy them as 'splits' - half thickness.

There HAS to be castable ceramic that will hold up, but I haven't found any.

I've had much the same problem with materials in the secondary chamber. It's a remarkably hostile environment - high temperatures, extraordinary temperature gradients, nasty chemistry, rapid temperature changes. I've turned a lot of expensive materials into gravel.

The only thing I've found that holds up for any length of time is 3000 degree rated high density / high alumina firebrick. I buy them as 'splits' - half thickness.

There HAS to be castable ceramic that will hold up, but I haven't found any.
Well, I have not found anything to hold up,so,this week it time to get steel or stainless plate,least it wont crack,might melt but we will see how long it holds up. About 1/2inch thick I think or more if I can lift it? Darn boiler just works so good I just hate to keep messing with these plates. I,ll weld some cross pieces for to keep them flat, rest of fire chamber is 2 1/2inch, fire brick which holds up good so far,

The material in our baffle on our woodfurnace is c-cast, capable of temperatures up to 3000 degrees. I guess it's a material that was used for space shuttles or something on that order. Maybe there's an option there, our baffle is about an inch or slightly thicker. I know it's lightweight, but durable.

The material in our baffle on our woodfurnace is c-cast, capable of temperatures up to 3000 degrees. I guess it's a material that was used for space shuttles or something on that order. Maybe there's an option there, our baffle is about an inch or slightly thicker. I know it's lightweight, but durable.
Is there any way to get this itom? or find the cost? pieces need to be 12 1/2inch x 16inch for bottom and 14inch x 16 for top piece. thickness can be I say up to 1 1/4 for bottom and 1 1/2 for top. Who would be able to sell this? if you may know? Thanks alot!

Stove Builder International or SBI built our furnace. You might want to contact Fyrebug on here and see if he can give you any leads and maybe some more info on the material. Its a ceramic cast material with high heat properties, that's about all I know. Sounds like it might be what your looking for. Good luck!

Stove Builder International or SBI built our furnace. You might want to contact Fyrebug on here and see if he can give you any leads and maybe some more info on the material. Its a ceramic cast material with high heat properties, that's about all I know. Sounds like it might be what your looking for. Good luck!
Thanks, it does sound like what may work

Might help to use several small pieces rather than one large. The temperature gradient between the center of flame impingement and the edges can be truly extraordinary.

Of course, my experience is that if you start with one large piece, you end up with several small ones anyway :-O

Status
Not open for further replies.