Homemade bows (Pic heavy)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Well, fall is bearing down on us so i decided to post some pics of what I hope to use to fill my freezer with this year. (If not, the .308 works fine...) start with some riven /split hedge...get close to bow size and Dry, dry, dry...To around 7-8% MC! You can build a drying box or use hot attic / sunny car.
( Idea : Put those fresh white oak splits in the wife's cobalt - they'll be ready by fall! ;lol )

osagestaves.jpg

Take a drawknife to it....layout a bow, drawknife some more...scrape, tiller repeat...

handle.jpg

drawknife.jpg

Stain, glue snakeskins if available. This huge milksnake was hit by a student of mine on the way to school. Of course he brought it in.
ms2.jpg
ms1.jpg

Reactions: Chemdawg
Copperhead version:

copperhead1.jpg

sms.jpg

52# at my 27" draw - a 32 Inch draw would mean a bow almost foot longer - too long to hunt with - this is my shortest at 60 inches long.Max range? 25 yards.

sms2.jpg

String Nock closeup
tip.jpg

Stained hunting bow - prefer a shorter lower limb, balances the handle better. Managed to score with this one.

stained.jpg

stained2.jpg

doe.jpg

Goofy "good luck hat" wife got me worked.

Reactions: Chemdawg
You are a true craftsmen. Lots of patience there......

Thanks for sharing....

Nice job. As a woodworker, I can appreciate the skill it took to make those bows. The copperhead bow is especially nice the way the color of the skin transforms almost seamlessly to the wood.

I've made a few walking sticks over the years using a drawknife and bench vise. One day I was reading an Eric Sloane book and it had drawings of a "shaving horse" which is a seat with a swinging clamp actuated by a foot pedal. It allows you to work the piece, let the treadle go and rotate it or push or pull it towards you. It is quite a timesaver. I attached a pic and google images has a bunch of pictures also. It looks real simple to make and I'm sure the jaw can be modified with a rounded edge for more grip.

Nothing wrong with your hat. I have a few Boonie hats just for working out in the sun since they cover my ears and I can soak them in water and wear them wet if need be.

thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx

Very neat craftsmanship.

Thanks guys -
By the way, this hobby has a very steep learning curve, is fun as all get out, plus you get to cut more wood!

Any other bowyers out there, feel free to post your stuff here!

I have no art/sculpture aptitude whatsoever before doing this - I can barely write legibly - A few forums like paeoplanet and primitive archer, (the one I'm on) have all the instructions needed. they got me building serviceable equipment, and I'd love to help out anyone wanting to give it a shot.

Fishingpol - made a shaving horse, but it fell apart lol...too many moving parts!

Defiant - i buy the shafts, nocks, fletches, metal broadheads, and assemble. Some guys even collect shoots or bamboo for shafts, use sinew,and knapped stone heads.

Deer arrows - (except the blunt on the bottom - that's for the yappy squirrel that ruins my hunt...) i don't use this relective tape any more, hunt from the ground in a ghillie

09setup.jpg

flu flus for stump practice / small game. The big fletches slow arrow after 20 yards, reducing breakage. Those hex bolts are cheap, tough, lethal, but easily replaced if broken off. They also don't bury as easy as field points.

nutterflus.jpg

thanks all for looking.

Reactions: fishingpol
Great stuff!!
I will be PM'ing you in the near future if that's cool with you.
Ever designed a take-down?

No problem - haven't done a take down yet. 3rivers archery sells metal sleeves to use for one, maybe this winter once I decide I finally have 3 years worth of oak :)

sent ya some cool links to check out

Status
Not open for further replies.